Similar cities to Sheffield

Guest busdriver1

Chernobyl ?

Chernobyl ?

I do see a lot of mutants congregated round Castle Sq every day... :huh:

I think the places I've been, having thought about it, Ghent. Not so much the tourist parts, I once walked from the station to the centre thinking it wouldn't be far, it is, especially when you think it's not and have a beer in every pub along the way. The pubs, people, sense of humour was very similar.

Silesia in Poland is a post mining region.

Once rich and booming now not so much.

Similar history and feeling to it.

There are a few cities with Katowice being largest.

Donetsk in Ukraine used to be quite booming industrial city not that long ago but now became capital of Donetsk People's Republic.

Some parts of Sheffield feel like warzone, I can see some similarities.

If you need posh shops go to Meadowhall that is why they routed the tram there.

Do you think Meadowhall has "posh shops"? Oh dear.

I went to Kaunas in Lithuania and that had a small city, studenty, relatively laid back air similar to here though physically it wasn't really similar at all. Lovely place though.

Anecdotally, a lot of Sheffield youngsters go to Newcastle University, as they say the city feels similar.

Newcastle is very little like Sheffield I'm afraid. It's a much more vibrant and happening city. Makes good use of it's Quayside (which Sheffield does not) and has a coastal area (which Sheffield doesn't).

In the way that it's very green and largely half-built, yeah - I'd go with Berlin being closer. Tho I'm not sure about 'friendly'. People in Berlin tend to tolerate visitors rather than embrace them. So actually, yes, quite a lot like Sheffield! :)

Newcastle is very little like Sheffield I'm afraid. It's a much more vibrant and happening city. Makes good use of it's Quayside (which Sheffield does not) and has a coastal area (which Sheffield doesn't).

In the way that it's very green and largely half-built, yeah - I'd go with Berlin being closer. Tho I'm not sure about 'friendly'. People in Berlin tend to tolerate visitors rather than embrace them. So actually, yes, quite a lot like Sheffield! :)

Notice you are located in the lake district i.e. Barnsley, there is certainly no where like there LOL:P

Aleppo -Page Hall

Chicago - Manor

Karachi - Abbeydale

Kingston - Burngreave

Warsaw - Wybourn.

Ascot - Dore

Different parts of different cities remind me of Sheffield.

I lived in Newcastle for four years and I think Sheffield can learn a lot from Newcastle and South Yorkshire from the North East in general. There's a certain regional self confidence in the North East that just isn't present in South Yorkshire, which would probably explain why . Sheffield is a vibrant and happening city and is actually very similar culturally to Newcastle.

The Quayside in Newcastle-Gateshead has a series of iconic bridges and buildings which has a great deal of investment while in Sheffield much of the river are still lined with the ruins of it's past industry. I'm not sure if this speaks of the regional confidence of the North East able to get funds for their redevelopment just that the Tyne is a far more imposing.

Notice you are located in the lake district i.e. Barnsley, there is certainly no where like there LOL:P

Ah but I only live in Barnsley these days, as it's handier for places of civilisation such as Leeds and Manchester. I am Sheffield born and bred! :)

Besides, there's nowt much wrong with Barnsley that the new £40m town centre revamp won't help. Something that is actually happening surprisingly enough

---------- Post added 15-08-2016 at 16:03 ----------

I lived in Newcastle for four years and I think Sheffield can learn a lot from Newcastle and South Yorkshire from the North East in general. There's a certain regional self confidence in the North East that just isn't present in South Yorkshire, which would probably explain why . Sheffield is a vibrant and happening city and is actually very similar culturally to Newcastle.

The Quayside in Newcastle-Gateshead has a series of iconic bridges and buildings which has a great deal of investment while in Sheffield much of the river are still lined with the ruins of it's past industry. I'm not sure if this speaks of the regional confidence of the North East able to get funds for their redevelopment just that the Tyne is a far more imposing.

I lived in the north east for 8 years and Newcastle is more akin to the Leeds, Liverpool and Manchesters of this world than to Sheffield. You only have to go on any weekend...if you can afford to as even a basic Travelodge will set you back around £120 for a Saturday night in Newcastle... to realise just how much MORE of a happening city it is than Sheffield.

And yes I would go back in a heartbeat.