Similar cities to Sheffield

In terms of size and 'green-ness', as well as general lay out of the city and the student-y, laid back vibe, Helsinki (Finland) is quite similar imo.

I actually visited Helsinki first so it was Sheffield that reminded me of Helsinki, not the other way around.

Ah but I only live in Barnsley these days, as it's handier for places of civilisation such as Leeds and Manchester. I am Sheffield born and bred! :)

Besides, there's nowt much wrong with Barnsley that the new £40m town centre revamp won't help. Something that is actually happening surprisingly enough

---------- Post added 15-08-2016 at 16:03 ----------

I lived in the north east for 8 years and Newcastle is more akin to the Leeds, Liverpool and Manchesters of this world than to Sheffield. You only have to go on any weekend...if you can afford to as even a basic Travelodge will set you back around £120 for a Saturday night in Newcastle... to realise just how much MORE of a happening city it is than Sheffield.

And yes I would go back in a heartbeat.

So Leeds has become civilised within the 35 years since I left the country.:hihi:

I think don't anyone would consider a night out in Newcastle civilised!

I am afraid I was never able to draw a comparison between Sheffield & Berlin. Since the capital moved back from Bonn, re-building in Berlin has been almost continuous. But not in Sheffield, we still have thousands of old WW2 houses/warehouses/factories etc. Majority of the building in England over the past 40 years has gone into London & surrounds.

Yes, driven by demand. But if the government had spent money on Sheffield infrastructure and industry, then the demand would be in place there.

I've spent time in most of the major towns and cities of the UK and the one that is most like Sheffield is definitely Stoke-on-Trent. It's an ex-coal area, post-industrial heartland located near wonderful countryside (peak district to the North).

Newcastle-under-Lyme people are like Rotherham folk who don't want to be seen as part of the same city, but practically live on top of one another. The people are uncomplicated and honest, although a little less stoical and slower on the uptake than Sheffield folk.

Like Sheffield, they are a little too involved with the past (potteries, not steel) and it's located on a major north-south artery (M6 not M1). There are other similarities and some major differences, but for me, I think it's the closest.

Sheffield and South Yorkshire are fine although generally quite poor. The public transport infrastructure is brilliant. I live in Elsecar, ( I know not Sheffield ) and we have a railway station and a first class bus service. T'other night we got the train into Sheffield 20 mins, walked across the road to the Showroom cinema watched a great film for £5 which was introduced by its Director Ken Loach twice winner of the Cannes Palm d' Or who also did a Q and A session. He happened to be in Sheffield because he was receiving an honorary Doctorate from one of our two brilliant Universities another plus. We had a pint after the film in the Sheffield Tap real ale bar (brilliant) and caught the train back.

Sheffield has brilliant cultural facilities anyone who doesn't think so lacks imagination, in my opinion

Sheffield and South Yorkshire are fine although generally quite poor. The public transport infrastructure is brilliant. I live in Elsecar, ( I know not Sheffield ) and we have a railway station and a first class bus service. T'other night we got the train into Sheffield 20 mins, walked across the road to the Showroom cinema watched a great film for £5 which was introduced by its Director Ken Loach twice winner of the Cannes Palm d' Or who also did a Q and A session. He happened to be in Sheffield because he was receiving an honorary Doctorate from one of our two brilliant Universities another plus. We had a pint after the film in the Sheffield Tap real ale bar (brilliant) and caught the train back.

Sheffield has brilliant cultural facilities anyone who doesn't think so lacks imagination, in my opinion

We actually do the opposite and take the train to Barnsley.

The thing is that Barnsley reminds us of a Sheffield that has now vanished ,It is town full of humour and proper South Yorkshire folk.

A Town where people tell it as it is without fear of being accused of being misunderstood by the P.C. brigade.

It also has a shopping centre that includes a magnificent Market area bang in the middle and pubs that are indeed pubs and not glorified snack bars or so called real ale posing joints full of men in pink trousers and women who sup pints and smoke roll ups.

The personal comments and insults can stop now. If you cant post in a civil manner then please dont post at all.

Any more and you may find your access to the forum suspended.

Back on topic the two places that I have visited that most remind me of Sheffield are Antwerp and Bilbao.

Back on topic the two places that I have visited that most remind me of Sheffield are Antwerp and Bilbao.

Was in Bilbao in August,lovely city,.

I find Newcastle much more like Manchester and Leeds in terms of the city centre. It feels much more like a big city, whereas Sheffield is more like Nottingham - feels more compact, with lots of small areas of cool shops/bars rather than the big 'civic' feel of Leeds, etc.