Listening booths at wilson pecks

Mossdog.

My wonderful Dad came to pick me up, outside the City Hall, i was 15 years old !

I was a good girl, things were different in the 60s, and had excellent guidance, and advice from wonderful parents.

Warned to remain on the straight and narrow, or possably ruin my life.

Thanks Mum and Dad.

I remember going into Wilson Pecks, to listen to Dave Berrys "Crying Game".

I was on my way to the City Hall with my best friend Vivienne Cain, to see The Beatles.

I was ssssooooo excited, I was crazy about The Beatles.

I went in WPs frequently, to listen to pop music, I was 15 years old, when I went to see The Beatles, I also spoke to Billy J Kramer, when he was going into The Grand Hotel.

Boy, was he handsome ! ! !

I almost lost my voice that night, I screamed my head off, and my ears were ringing.

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY DAYS.

Have to agree with you Mrs.M. Although I don't go around looking at handsome blokes, BillyJ was a real good looking fella -mid '60s anyway- and Wayne Fontana too! According to the girls I knew.

Edited by stpetre
edit

Have to agree with you Mrs.M. Although I don't go around looking at handsome blokes, BillyJ was a real good looking fella -mid '60s anyway- and Wayne Fontana too! According to the girls I knew.

Pete Best, the original Beatles drummer was also in that category, he was idolised in Liverpool, especially by the girls, whish is why they kicked him out. That is why they never played live in Liverpool after they started getting hit records. Folk lore blamed George Martin, but apparently Ringo was worse, but uglier. lol

Its amazing how so many 60s singers have realy gone to seed, Dave Berry looks great, and Peter Noon,I met Dave Berry, at the Silver Blades ice rink, I was a DJ, at the weekend, the song that sticks in my mind is the Beach Boys "Good Vibrations"

Played it lots, I nearly lived at the ice rink, until my then boyfriend, broke his leg !

I must confess, it scared me off, didn't skate there much after that.

He ended up having 6 months of work, a fate I didn't desire !

Hi Folks, I like all the singers names you've mentioned on here, i use too

listen to Radio Luxemboug top 20 on Sunday nights in bed, i remember Akker Bulk

with strangers on the shore was at top of the charts for weeks.

While on holiday in Cleethopres in the 60s there was a jazz concert at beacholmes

Kenny Ball and Akker Bulk and his band, was two other bands but can't remember

their names. Great records in the 60s.

Yes 'Big Jim' on lead guitar with Jimmy Page backing him up !! 1964 too..wow !

---------- Post added 07-08-2016 at 19:36 ----------

LP's , at least the Rock and Pop ones, were 33 rpm.

Trust me there were 12 inch 78rpm singles , my mum had several and they were all opera music. I guess the normal 10 inch 78's would not have the room to do an Opera piece. Wasn't Big Jim, Gene Vincent's original guitarist with the Blue Caps? He then played for Tom Jones a lot, later on in the 60's and 70's.

Edited by TORONTONY

Trust me there were 12 inch 78rpm singles , my mum had several and they were all opera music. I guess the normal 10 inch 78's would not have the room to do an Opera piece. Wasn't Big Jim, Gene Vincent's original guitarist with the Blue Caps? He then played for Tom Jones a lot, later on in the 60's and 70's.

The first stereo listening booths in Sheffield were at Cannes The Record Man, at the top of Dixon Lane. (opposite Big Ada's barrow)

The next ones were installed in Boots Fargate shop, in the record basement!

I helped installed them!

And by the way, Liptons in Haymarket was the first "Self Service" shop in Sheffield.

I installed that too. Along with Norman Aistrop (Crooks/Walkley) and his mate, I can't remember!

Edited by trastrick

Hi Folks, I like all the singers names you've mentioned on here, i use too

listen to Radio Luxemboug top 20 on Sunday nights in bed, i remember Akker Bulk

with strangers on the shore was at top of the charts for weeks.

While on holiday in Cleethopres in the 60s there was a jazz concert at beacholmes

Kenny Ball and Akker Bulk and his band, was two other bands but can't remember

their names. Great records in the 60s.

Yes Brian, and not to be pedantic, it's Acker Bilk. I also went to Cleethorpes' Jazz Festival, which at the time 1962-1964 was the second largest in England. When I was there it was held perhaps not Beachholme, but about a mile further down, away from the Grimsby end. One year when I attended (1964) I believe the main attraction was the Chris Barber band. Other Jazz bands I remember from the early '60s were : Mike Cotton, Bob Wallis' Storeyville Jazz Band. Monty Sunshine, Terry Lightfoot. Ken Colyer, Second City (as in Birmingham) Jazzmen and, I kid you not, the Merseysippi Jazzmen ! Then of course there was Kenny Ball's band and the Temperance Seven (were they really jazz ?) and their vocalist 'Whispering' Paul McDowell.

Edited by stpetre
Add

Yes Brian, and not to be pedantic, it's Acker Bilk. I also went to Cleethorpes' Jazz Festival, which at the time 1962-1964 was the second largest in England. When I was there it was held perhaps not Beachholme, but about a mile further down, away from the Grimsby end. One year when I attended (1964) I believe the main attraction was the Chris Barber band. Other Jazz bands I remember from the early '60s were : Mike Cotton, Bob Wallis' Storeyville Jazz Band. Monty Sunshine, Terry Lightfoot. Ken Colyer, Second City (as in Birmingham) Jazzmen and, I kid you not, the Merseysippi Jazzmen ! Then of course there was Kenny Ball's band and the Temperance Seven (were they really jazz ?) and their vocalist 'Whispering' Paul McDowell.

--------------

Yes Stpetre, Now you mentioned Chris Barber's name he was also at

the festival when i was there, i can't remember the other names

you have put here at the year i was there.

--------------

Yes Stpetre, Now you mentioned Chris Barber's name he was also at

the festival when i was there, i can't remember the other names

you have put here at the year i was there.

Chris Barber had the biggest hit of them all with Petite Fleur , and Monty Sunshine played the most beautiful clarinet, I have ever heard, on that record, sorry Acker, Monty was way better. In saying this ,I acknowledge Stranger On The Shore stayed on the pop charts much longer but wasn't the biggest seller. Flash back anyone remember when Lonnie Donegan played guitar for Chris Barber, before he started the skiffle craze?

Chris Barber had the biggest hit of them all with Petite Fleur , and Monty Sunshine played the most beautiful clarinet, I have ever heard, on that record, sorry Acker, Monty was way better. In saying this ,I acknowledge Stranger On The Shore stayed on the pop charts much longer but wasn't the biggest seller. Flash back anyone remember when Lonnie Donegan played guitar for Chris Barber, before he started the skiffle craze?

Yes Mr.T. I only recall Lonnie Donegan when he went 'solo' and as for (Mr.) as he liked in his stage name Acker Bilk. 'Stranger on the Shore' was the first record by a British solo artist to hit number one in the U.S. Later that same year-1962- the Tornados with 'Telstar' became the first British group to do the same, not the Liverpool lads who did a lot later.

Yes Mr.T. I only recall Lonnie Donegan when he went 'solo' and as for (Mr.) as he liked in his stage name Acker Bilk. 'Stranger on the Shore' was the first record by a British solo artist to hit number one in the U.S. Later that same year-1962- the Tornados with 'Telstar' became the first British group to do the same, not the Liverpool lads who did a lot later.

Actually Vera Lynn was the first British solo artist to make # 1 in the States, in the forties, Lonnie Donegan was the second, (first in the rock era), with Rock Island Line , late fifties.