Listening booths at wilson pecks

When vinyl singles were 6/3d can you remember listening to the record in a booth before you bought it.

When vinyl singles were 6/3d can you remember listening to the record in a booth before you bought it.

Yes remember them well, all major record shops had them They were all the rage in the 78 rpm era though it did continue on 45's for many years until cassettes came on the scene. My Mum was a big opera fan and many of her records were 12 inch 78's whereas the normal pop one's were 10 inch She spent hours in those booths while I sat waiting, when I was little, lol

Yes - me and my friend used go in Saturday's and listen to our favourites, but we couldn't usually afford to buy them. Also Bradley's - I think on Fargate

One I can remember was down stairs at Cans on Dixon lane. in fact I think they were probably the first in Sheffield to have them.

But in the pre 18 days on the way home after a walk around town we often called in the Wilson & Pecks at Highfields to listen to latest one we had read about in NME......

Edited by grinder

One I can remember was down stairs at Cans on Dixon lane. in fact I think they were probably the first in Sheffield to have them.

But in the pre 18 days on the way home after a walk around town we often called in the Wilson & Pecks at Highfields to listen to latest one we had read about in NME......

Don't think I ever used them personally. I always listened to Radio Luxembourg and if I heard a song I liked I would get it when I had the money, based on hearing it a few times on there. Loved the NME, I got it every Friday and read every word :cool:

Radio Luxenbourg!!! that takes you back a bit dunnit, unfortunatly I could never get a good reception on our wireless, very frustrating......

Don't think I ever used them personally. I always listened to Radio Luxembourg and if I heard a song I liked I would get it when I had the money, based on hearing it a few times on there. Loved the NME, I got it every Friday and read every word :cool:

Yes 'Looneyberg' as my dad called it. As for the booths, Cann's on Chapel Walk also had them and although singles had plenty of air-time on radio- Radio LB and BBC Light Programme-, (no Radio One then or pirates.) My objectives were L.P. tracks which were rare on radio and Wilson Peck's in particular, would play a couple or three tracks for you.

Edited by stpetre
Edit

Yes 'Looneyberg' as my dad called it. As for the booths, Cann's on Chapel Walk also had them and although singles had plenty of air-time on radio- Radio LB and BBC Light Programme-, (no Radio One then or pirates.) My objectives were L.P. tracks which were rare on radio and Wilson Peck's in particular, would play a couple or three tracks for you.
........and if you knew "Barry" the record department manager in those days,you could stay all afternoon at Wilson Pecks listening to all the latest 45s and LPs!

........and if you knew "Barry" the record department manager in those days,you could stay all afternoon at Wilson Pecks listening to all the latest 45s and LPs!

There was also a 'Barry' manager at Bradley's, Fargate early '70s , perhaps same bloke ?

I remember going into Wilson Pecks, to listen to Dave Berrys "Crying Game".

I was on my way to the City Hall with my best friend Vivienne Cain, to see The Beatles.

I was ssssooooo excited, I was crazy about The Beatles.

I went in WPs frequently, to listen to pop music, I was 15 years old, when I went to see The Beatles, I also spoke to Billy J Kramer, when he was going into The Grand Hotel.

Boy, was he handsome ! ! !

I almost lost my voice that night, I screamed my head off, and my ears were ringing.

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY DAYS.

I remember going into Wilson Pecks, to listen to Dave Berrys "Crying Game".

I was on my way to the City Hall with my best friend Vivienne Cain, to see The Beatles.

I was ssssooooo excited, I was crazy about The Beatles.

I went in WPs frequently, to listen to pop music, I was 15 years old, when I went to see The Beatles, I also spoke to Billy J Kramer, when he was going into The Grand Hotel.

Boy, was he handsome ! ! !

I almost lost my voice that night, I screamed my head off, and my ears were ringing.

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY DAYS.

........The crying game!.......lead guitar played by "Big Jim Sullivan" on the record, but by Frank White in live gigs before he left Berry

Was your voice the only thing you lost that night????

........The crying game!.......lead guitar played by "Big Jim Sullivan" on the record, but by Frank White in live gigs before he left Berry

Was your voice the only thing you lost that night????

Yes 'Big Jim' on lead guitar with Jimmy Page backing him up !! 1964 too..wow !

---------- Post added 07-08-2016 at 19:36 ----------

Yes remember them well, all major record shops had them They were all the rage in the 78 rpm era though it did continue on 45's for many years until cassettes came on the scene. My Mum was a big opera fan and many of her records were 12 inch 78's whereas the normal pop one's were 10 inch She spent hours in those booths while I sat waiting, when I was little, lol

LP's , at least the Rock and Pop ones, were 33 rpm.

Edited by stpetre
add