Motor bike and sidecar

Can anyone remember having or riding in - a motor bike with side car? I remember my grandparents having one in the 1940s? What was a side car like to sit in?

My dads friend had one and we used to go into lincolnshire fishing on it,my dad on pillion and me and friends son in sidecar,fishing baskets and rods fastened on back and roof of sidecar.Think it would be a health and safety problem these days.

My early childhood was spent going here and there on a Motor bike and Sidecar. BSA bike and a Watsonian Sidecar. Great fun but scary under the Mersey Tunnel as I recall. Mom in front with baby brother on her lap and me sat behind her in the dicky seat. On the odd special occasion and not for any great distance, I was allowed to ride pillion and can remember the smell of my dads leather coat as I clung on. Happy days ....didn't have much but didn't WANT much either.

Dad had one in the mid 50's. My brother and I would travel in the sidecar, snug as a bug. Dad in his big baggy waterproof coat with the belt around the middle and the massive gauntlets, mom in her turquoise 'leathers'....... class.

I would only be about 5 or 6 yrs, but I can still remember the puncture on the way back from Cleethorpes.... the AA man stuffed the back tyre with grass to get us home... I kid you not.

This is the one: Norton 500

Ah, those were the days! This photo was taken at Skegness in 1951. Dad Eddie is driving with mum Dora on the pillion. I'm the 3 year-old peering over the sidecar with big sister Valerie and brother Roy behind. Until I got too big (and a bit later, in wet weather) I used to sit on mum's lap in the front of the sidecar with Val and Roy squashed in behind. Happy days - all through the summer we would go to the east coast one weekend (Skegness, Cleethorpes or Bridlington) and the west coast the next (usually New Brighton via the Snake Pass and Mersey Tunnel). Few working-class people could afford their own transport at that time (dad had got some compensation for a wartime injury) and the neighbours on Low Road at Woodland View would come out of their houses to see us off. When we moved to Dykes Hall Road in 1952 there was nowhere to keep the machine and it was sold to a property repairer. He fitted a box-type sidecar for his kit. For the technically minded it was a Triumph 650 cc. 'Thunderbird' with a 'Swallow' double-adult sidecar.

I had BSA Shooting star 500cc with a wastsonia super sport sidecar, Insureance for bike solo £7 a year, with chair on £3 a year,that was early 60s

Some very interesting stories and photo's here... Thanks to all.../... During the mid 50s early 60s my dad had a 'Royal Enfield J2' with 'double adult' sidecar..The bike was a 500cc single yet with twin exhaust pipes.. I remember his 'Enfield before that had a hand gear change on the petrol tank.../.. We covered many happy miles... with dad's biking gear of goggles and a flat cap... which never blew off !... My cousin also had a sidecar - with no windscreen - and as a youngster I remember finding it difficult to breath due to the the blast of wind in my face.

My mate had one in the sixties, wouldn't get me in the sidecar for love nor money:help:

Ah, those were the days! This photo was taken at Skegness in 1951. Dad Eddie is driving with mum Dora on the pillion. I'm the 3 year-old peering over the sidecar with big sister Valerie and brother Roy behind. Until I got too big (and a bit later, in wet weather) I used to sit on mum's lap in the front of the sidecar with Val and Roy squashed in behind. Happy days - all through the summer we would go to the east coast one weekend (Skegness, Cleethorpes or Bridlington) and the west coast the next (usually New Brighton via the Snake Pass and Mersey Tunnel). Few working-class people could afford their own transport at that time (dad had got some compensation for a wartime injury) and the neighbours on Low Road at Woodland View would come out of their houses to see us off. When we moved to Dykes Hall Road in 1952 there was nowhere to keep the machine and it was sold to a property repairer. He fitted a box-type sidecar for his kit. For the technically minded it was a Triumph 650 cc. 'Thunderbird' with a 'Swallow' double-adult sidecar.

Nice story and photo.. Hillsbro'... happy memories no doubt.../... I notice the forward facing RAC badge.. which reminds me... we had the 'AA' badge and any passing (AA) patrolman would throw up a salute to my dad.. who, in his flat cap and goggles.. would wave back.

Some very interesting stories and photo's here... Thanks to all.../... During the mid 50s early 60s my dad had a 'Royal Enfield J2' with 'double adult' sidecar..The bike was a 500cc single yet with twin exhaust pipes.. I remember his 'Enfield before that had a hand gear change on the petrol tank.../.. We covered many happy miles... with dad's biking gear of goggles and a flat cap... which never blew off !... My cousin also had a sidecar - with no windscreen - and as a youngster I remember finding it difficult to breath due to the the blast of wind in my face.

His cap never blew off because they were mainly very slow.In the 60,s I had a Norton Big 4 ,Norton 19S (both 600cc singles 1 sv 1 ohv ),BSA A7,BSA A10 and later a JAWA 350 all with sidecars. I used to thrash them mercilessly up and down Prince of Wales road to work

Hi oscar2157 - yes, my dad thought the world of his old-style RAC badge - my brother still has it, carefully restored and on display in his house. RAC patrolmen, riding their own Norton combinations, also used to salute members in the 1950s.

A common sight was the planks on the bare chassis for the learners! (and some dubious left turn manoeuvres :) )

I'm not sure what dad would have made of THIS

Edited by handypandy