To paint or not to paint (for house sale)?

I have begun the process to place my house on the market. It is a little tired and the rooms are painted slightly questionable colours.

Is it worth redecorating before photos and viewings begin?

We were planning to repaint the house in magnolia just to freshen it up for prospective buyers. Would it make that much of a difference?

I'd say yes. You'd think that people could look beyond the decoration, but many can't.

Yes I would paint it, a light colour like magnolia will make it seem more spacey....

Light and bright always looks neutral, and can always be left for a while when first moved into, good old magnolia.

My other advice is, make sure the smell of paint has dispersed before showing anyone round, the smell of fresh paint does start some alarm bells ringing with folk.

Are the sellers hiding something??? etc

Yes, we often recommend a quick lick of paint. It's relatively low cost and makes a big difference

its a yes from me and another vote for magnolia , neutral ,bright and fresh

Yes definitely ! I have sold 2 or 3 this way. Throw most of your clutter (this will also help when you do eventually move.

Imagine your selling a car, you would wash, Hoover and buy it a magic tree- more chances off selling

Or going out one night, you would buy a new fresh shirt or skirt- more chances of meeting someone?

I would say yes it will definitely help. But some magnolias look a bit nasty - the ones that are a bit yellowy, like cheap vanilla ice cream. I think a more beige off-white looks less offensive and dated.

As a buyer I like to see shoddy decor, hideous colours and garish carpets. They put most people off but they keep the price down for me and I can fix them cheaply.

Most people plan on redecorating first thing they do, but most people buy with their eyes.

If you think it needs redecorating paint it.

Definitely throw out as much clutter as you can.

Remove furniture you don't plan to keep after moving.

Put in boxes things that you want to keep but are not using and dump in loft/garage/mothers loft.

Clean, spacious, smelling fresh but not of fresh paint.

It's worth paying a few quid for pro set of pictures and floor plan.

Don't leave that to estate agent with iPhone.

Paint, de-clutter.

Pale grey is the new magnolia for a modern feel. Well worth doing if you make a neat job of it. May need a few coats to cover dark colours. Trade paint is slightly more expensive than "normal" retail emulsion, but covers better and will save you time.

I recently sold a house. I was getting offers around 75000 initially. The walls were very dirty and the kitchen was tired. I then painted it (or rather a pro did it) throughout in magnolia and replaced the kitchen and did a few other bits and pieces. I sold it for 80000. I spent 2000. Therefore by spending 2000 I made 5000 extra. Its amazing but people cannot see past the superficial appearance of a house and when a house is tidy they will offer far more - even if they plan to paint all the magnolia walls in their own garish tastes of paint. spruce it up, get rid of as much clutter (put in storage), dress the house - flowers, few decorative things, remove as much of your personal stuff and so on.

Edited by TimmyR