Sheffield star online

its  called freedom of choice 

tbanks for your underwhelming reply. 

Same  problem  e.mailed  the Star Friday still waiting for reply I can not log in tried password restore will not even recognise the the email the account was set up with it could be time to cancel  £8.68 a month  for the same news which is free on South Yorkshire  Live.

11 hours ago, Tigerfan said:

its  called freedom of choice 

Well you can't be at all surprised when their service is as bad as their reporting can you?

You'll just have to wait till they can be bothered to fix the problem.

Something does not seem right a the Star I could not log in to my account for 2 days then I received a email saying the paywall had been taken down to allow the problem to be sorted, now I have a new email asking me to click a link  and add a new card to renew my subscription . Why should I have to do this what has happened to the card details they already have? the link only takes you to the Star  with no log in .

1 hour ago, click-00 said:

Something does not seem right a the Star I could not log in to my account for 2 days then I received a email saying the paywall had been taken down to allow the problem to be sorted, now I have a new email asking me to click a link  and add a new card to renew my subscription . Why should I have to do this what has happened to the card details they already have? the link only takes you to the Star  with no log in .

Try using examiner Live, it gives local info and doesn't cost. 

Yes I do use examiner Live as well in your area  news it mainly  for news on Wednesday and United I have it also I have been told if you go incognito you do not have to have a account. The Star has given no explanation to why my subscription did not renew which does not give be confidence  in  there security.

I don’t subscribe but take advantage of the supposedly free viewing of 5 articles per week. After 2 or 3 articles you get the invitation to enter your email address and can’t get beyond to view remaining ‘free’ articles. I’ve never provided details but can only imagine the emails I’d get pressurising me to subscribe 

I wonder if anyone at The Star/Sheffield Newspapers   realises just how many people are abandoning them....and why.

I gave in to the pressure to help them out (as if they are a charity)   and took out a subscription   but like so many other I eventually got fed up of the logging in palaver especially when it refused to recognise my user name and password and I have told them to stuff it because the product, the online and tablet editions, are not worth the hassle. 

I have made the point on Twitter that if  journalists use social media in preference to the   format of a newspaper   they can  hardly complain if people get so used to the garbage on social media that they can't tell the difference between gossip and journalism. 

The people of Sheffield used to get detailed accounts of council activities , court hearings, inquests   and other routine   necessities as well as hard news gleaned from police calls etc.    Now they cut and paste press releases and treat   any old "I" and "Me" story like headline scoops.   Journalism it ain't and the likes of Len Doherty and Peter Harvey must be spinning in their graves. 

But just look at the advertising  that the online issues carry. They aren't short of display ads even if classifieds have gone down.  And the raw material/printing costs must have plummeted too.     It's a sad day for everyone but most of all for those people who used to be proud to call themselves "readers". 

On 07/08/2020 at 19:05, DavidFrance said:

I wonder if anyone at The Star/Sheffield Newspapers   realises just how many people are abandoning them....and why.

I gave in to the pressure to help them out (as if they are a charity)   and took out a subscription   but like so many other I eventually got fed up of the logging in palaver especially when it refused to recognise my user name and password and I have told them to stuff it because the product, the online and tablet editions, are not worth the hassle. 

I have made the point on Twitter that if  journalists use social media in preference to the   format of a newspaper   they can  hardly complain if people get so used to the garbage on social media that they can't tell the difference between gossip and journalism. 

The people of Sheffield used to get detailed accounts of council activities , court hearings, inquests   and other routine   necessities as well as hard news gleaned from police calls etc.    Now they cut and paste press releases and treat   any old "I" and "Me" story like headline scoops.   Journalism it ain't and the likes of Len Doherty and Peter Harvey must be spinning in their graves. 

But just look at the advertising  that the online issues carry. They aren't short of display ads even if classifieds have gone down.  And the raw material/printing costs must have plummeted too.     It's a sad day for everyone but most of all for those people who used to be proud to call themselves "readers". 

I totally agree, if the Star was offering a quality product I would subscribe. I stopped taking the physical newspaper some years ago for the same reason 

They are now revamping the Retro, the Metro is a far better newspaper than the Star, it’s absolutely terrible and Nancy Fielder thinks she’s doing a good job.

May have been covered - does a subscription mean there are no ads?