Sheffield star online

The guy in the Star drinks in Sheffield regularly and is local, the Star is really poor these days

On 18/09/2019 at 12:46, Hadron said:

What a load of free loaders  SheFo's are!

Has anyone ever told you, you get what you pay for.

Put nothing in, get nothing out.

Get with the times, it's one pound

On just about any other topic I'd totally agree with you about the parsimonious nature of local folk.  But in this case, the local folks have a right to object to pay the going rate, because it's not worth it, simple as that.   I don't know what Johnston Press's plans are for The Sheffield Star, but I doubt "survival" is one of them.  The quality of journalism is staggeringly poor and the website is difficult to navigate because of all the pop-up ads.  

It is one of the most desperate online journals I've ever seen.  One of the main stories the other week - "Man in BMW in argument with motorist".  The story went on to say, that a man in a black BMW was seen arguing with another motorist, then getting back in his car and driving off.  That was it!  In an edition last year, on the sports page, there was a  story about the footballer, Kieron Freeman, of Sheffield United.  They posted a photo with, "Kieron Freeman - Sheffield United" - but the photo was of a King Charles Spaniel! 😂  The "Editorial checks" are not so great there, are they?

Gone are the days when there was a good reason to buy the Star, in paper form, to:

• Get the very latest news updates on our local sports (football) teams
  • Get the very latest locals news
  • Buy or sell something in the extensive classified ads section
  • Take part in a competition with good prize money, like "Spot The Ball" 
  • Find out handy local information, like what's on at the cinema, or where the late-closing pharmacies are 

Of course, the internet has changed the way we communicate and this has impacted negatively on the sale of newspapers.  But we are talking about the online version of The Star here - and it doesn't do many of the above things - and it should, if it wants to survive.  

I occasionally read it as I'm keen on local football.  I actually normally go to the webcrawler, "Newsnow" to find articles about Sheffield United, because this pulls in stories from all across the internet.  Some of those are posted by The Star - so the link will take me to that site.  However, since I now have to sign in to read them - and am restricted to 3 articles per week - I simply don't bother.  There are other sources of local sports news, some of which The Star appear to get their ideas and stories from anyhow!  

It is sad to witness the slow death of yet another Sheffield institution.

Edited by DerbyTup

I fully agree with Derby Tup.  Very well put. 

Back in the 60s, the Star did an "exclusive" about an elderly lady who was discovered in dire circumstances (left in an appallingly neglected state in her flat in the old Townhead block). Can't remember the precise details, but the Star did several front page features of what happened, why it happened and why it shouldn't have happened and they received accolades for their journalism from around the country. Even the weekly TV programme  "What the Papers Say", noted for its disdain for for the majority of newspaper articles, said "this was jounalism at its very best"   How times change.

Edited by carosio

4 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

It is one of the most desperate online journals I've ever seen. 

It is sad to witness the slow death of yet another Sheffield institution.

I think many others are the same these days.  The Liverpool Echo is the same.  They fill their website and Facebook news pages with this sort of rubbish:

ITV Holly Willoughby fans go wild for £325 'gorgeous' dress

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/tv/itv-holly-willoughby-fans-go-17201015

ITV This Morning fans have their own advice for psychologist Emma Kenny

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/tv/itv-morning-fans-advice-psychologist-17201771

McDonald's is offering Big Macs for 99p today and this is how you can get one

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/mcdonalds-offering-big-macs-99p-17199861

Guest makapaka

The sport section on a Friday and Monday is still very good for me.

I am not sure if Sheffield people know how business works to survive let alone and god forbid make a profit.

How would you monetize news? The simple answer is, you can't, and that is why advertising is critical.

Subscribing for a whole 100 pennies will get you 3 months worth of local news without the ads. Now that doesn't hurt too much does it?

You might also be helping people keep there jobs or is the whole point of this witch hunt on SF designed to kill them off?

I've  subscribed to  the  £1 offer.  (£1 per month for 3 months). I can't get on to any stories, I get a box telling me to log in but it does not respond when I try and I can't get rid of the box. (I don't use facebook etc). I have emailed the Star but haven't received any reply. To say I'm  disappointed is an understatement.

21 hours ago, Hadron said:

Subscribing for a whole 100 pennies will get you 3 months worth of local news without the ads. Now that doesn't hurt too much does it?

It does when they get the news stories from here or Sheffield Online.

2 hours ago, cytine said:

I've  subscribed to  the  £1 offer.  (£1 per month for 3 months). I can't get on to any stories, I get a box telling me to log in but it does not respond when I try and I can't get rid of the box. (I don't use facebook etc). I have emailed the Star but haven't received any reply. To say I'm  disappointed is an understatement.

I did have a problem too with logging on at first. I clicked the forgot password and set up a new one and it worked for me.

Just been on the Star online, where it's reporting on the flooded roads. It's says that Woodseats Road is flooded and it shows a picture of Chesterfield Road at the bottom of Cobnar Road.

They can't even get the road names correct.

On 05/11/2019 at 08:45, gene said:

I fully agree with Derby Tup.  Very well put. 

So do I!