Sheffield star online

The website is terrible, it's completely hobbled with advertisement banners I just avoid it completely.

Didn’t this forum ban links to the Star at one point, because the website was so unstable?

There is more up to date and relevant news on this forum...

I have tried to read it without the AD Blocker on and it is a waste of time.Some Ads completely block out the article you are reading or cover the end bit of a line.

It's going to be £1 a month for first 3 months, then £2 a week, including the app and the on-line version. Looks like you can read 4 free articles a week, That's more than I normally read in a week anyway. 

It might be worth installing an alternative browser .

This can't be real.

The site is so bad, I don't even click on links to it from here for free anymore. Why would I pay for it?

10 hours ago, iansheff said:

Pay to read the Star, they must be joking.  You can be reading an article and you see a link that says something like major road closed, clicking on the link takes you to an article several days old it is a joke. What is the point in having links like that, they are misleading. It isn't a one off either, lots of times I have clicked on a link thinking oh what has happened and then see it was last week.

The other week the main story on the front page was about the jury considering their verdict in that murder trail. No mention anywhere on there they'd been found guilty three days earlier.

They're a total joke. Anyone who pays to read that site would pay for anything.

Edited by Colin Foster

On 05/09/2019 at 13:33, Albert the Cat said:

No. 

Not worth paying for such journalistic quality. There is very few I would pay for, but the FT is one of them. 

Quote "I costs money for high quality journalism" - The Star

Why pay for .... these are the 20 worst places for litter in Sheffield.... the latest odds for the top 10 possible new Sheffield Wednesday managers.... Delays after an accident on the Parkway, more to follow (and then nothing !!!)

This could be the beginning of the end.

Edited by darylslinn

I presume their principle is they give away rubbish content for free on the website and the proper articles written by journalists are in the print edition that you pay for. Therefore if you pay for the website you can get the better content on the website.

That is of course assuming they are employing proper journalists and writing decent stuff in the first place.

The website is terrible though. They seem to just have a few email correspondents providing web content by copying and pasting stuff off Twitter!

8 hours ago, Andy C said:

I presume their principle is they give away rubbish content for free on the website and the proper articles written by journalists are in the print edition that you pay for. Therefore if you pay for the website you can get the better content on the website.

That is of course assuming they are employing proper journalists and writing decent stuff in the first place.

The website is terrible though. They seem to just have a few email correspondents providing web content by copying and pasting stuff off Twitter!

Or Sheffield Forum! Headline - "Hillsborough residents disturbed by low frequency humming noise at night" 😂

If you don't subscribe you only get to read 5 articles a week.