Sheffield City Council - Credit where credit's due!!

Some dirty slob had dumped a largish pile of broken glass near the kerb across from my property.

Decided to report it using - https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/report_request/litter.html

I was absoltely amazed that less than 20mins later a cleaning truck was there to clear it up.

I believe the local depot isn't too far away but still - I've waited longer for taxis to arrive.

Probably got nothing on or can charge council a silly rate for attending quickly

I struggle to believe the council really moves quite that fast, chances are they already knew.

You can't expect them to just be sat around waiting on a computer to beep to send them out on their next job.

I'd be surprised if any of my neighbors reported it - the only ones who it is reasonably near to - are quite partial to a fridge/freezer or mattress in their own garden.

I had a similar situation yesterday , some a***s in a van dumped around 30 tyres on a piece of land next to my house.

I rang it through to 101 and within 30 mins a maintenance/cleaning team arrived and removed them.

A lot of issues with 101 but on this occasion top marks.

Similar here - reported some graffiti and a broken bollard, both fixed within 24 hours.

I find the Sheffield CC reporting tool to be cumbersome at best.

I use http://www.fixmystreet.com all the time, much better as you can just select on a map where the problem is.

I worked in this dept for a few years, the timescale for picking up broken glass from a public highway is 60 minutes, I have reported this issue on many occasions and it has always been cleared within the hour. Fixmystreet is a useful tool and I know it's popular, but it simply forwards reports to the streetsahead email inbox (not always correctly) and can delay problem solving for a variety of reasons.

I personally find the SCC online reporting tool quite a pain to use, but reports that are logged correctly via that portal go straight to the people on the ground. Any glitches or issues with the online report that the system does not like and the jobs are thrown into an exceptions queue to be looked at manually.

---------- Post added 03-08-2016 at 20:29 ----------

I struggle to believe the council really moves quite that fast, chances are they already knew.

You can't expect them to just be sat around waiting on a computer to beep to send them out on their next job.

there are in fact several incident support units, whose first priority is to attend anything deemed an emergency, from sweeping up debris in the road after an accident, to picking up broken glass. When I worked there, as soon as anything like this came through via whatever communication method, it would be logged and rung thru to Amey control.

Some dirty slob had dumped a largish pile of broken glass near the kerb across from my property.

Decided to report it using - https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/report_request/litter.html

I was absoltely amazed that less than 20mins later a cleaning truck was there to clear it up.

I believe the local depot isn't too far away but still - I've waited longer for taxis to arrive.

I think I'd have cleared it myself but good that the Council sorted this for you.

I report fly tipping all the time at work (Attercliffe is rife with it unfortunately) - the reporting tool is a bit cumbersome but not awful and their response is normally within a few days. Can't say I've got any complaints - it's one bit of the council services that seems to run pretty well.

I thought rubbish disposal was outsourced. The prompt response would have been from them and they charge it back to the council.