BT broadband speed..help please

I received an e mail from BT about 6 weeks ago to say that I could now access a download speed of over 50 Mbps.

I checked this with Ooklah and I was indeed getting around 47Mbps.

After finding that things seemed slower over the last few days I checked again with Ooklah which at various times during the day struggled to approach 3 Mbps.

I then checked on the My BT website that indicated that the service to my house was still over 47Mbps.

Last night I checked with Ooklah after midnight and their indication at that time was around 35 Mbps.

All the checks have been done with only one i pad connected to the Internet.

My question is why is there such a wide variation and what can I do to achieve the 47Mbps which BT say I should be getting.

The upload speed is steady at around 10 Mbps.

Thanks

You shouldn't be doing speed checks over wireless, the connection to the router can vary quite alot of make massive differences to the speedcheck.

It needs to be a computer plugged directly into the router with a network cable.

But the main issue is not what speed is at the router,but what speed can I get over wireless when using either my lap top or I pad.

Is such a disparity of 47 Mbps to 3Mbps normal and why has it varied when checked wirelessly from 3Mbps to 40 Mbps.

I appreciate your comments

Yea could be, BT routers aren't known for being pillars of reliability so if there was a bunch of interference or the thing was just throwing a hissy fit you can get much reduced speed.

I had an iffy HomeHub 5 with similar issues a few months ago. Got on to the BT helpdesk who decided after a (very) few tests that a replacement unit was due.

Have to say I wasn't convinced that they were correct, and apart from that, wasn't too keen on forking out £120 (?), but they stated that replacements were free to contracted users.

(The fact that my contract had finished months before didn't seem to bother 'em!)

Sure enough, a few days later a brand new unit arrived.....

Did it improve matters?

No, not really.

One piece of advice that was passed on was to turn the unit off overnight if/when nobody had need of it...helped with possible overheating issues.

Thanks for above.

I have just gone through the turning off the router routine and turning back on,and I now seem to be getting the 50 Mbps level again.

Perhaps I should have tried this earlier!

One piece of advice that was passed on was to turn the unit off overnight if/when nobody had need of it...helped with possible overheating issues.

This is usually a bad idea as the system that monitors and sets your speed the DLM system will think there's a fault on line and slow down your speed.

This is usually a bad idea as the system that monitors and sets your speed the DLM system will think there's a fault on line and slow down your speed.

Just repeating the advice that the BT helpdesk gave.

Sounded as if the latest batch of HH5s are causing a bit of concern.

if you keep rebooting the hh4/5 or 6 the system thinks you have a problem and drops your line speed - over a period of stability the speed may increase but can take ages.

That's interesting : I wonder why the helpdesk - a Level 1 guy, by the way - is giving out that advice?

I've been in the habit of unplugging everything electrical (excepting the 'fridge and, up until now, the router) overnight for more years than I remember, so their information didn't sound out of place.

Sounds like I'll have to resort to leaving it switched on...

Standard level 1 helpdesk spiel is :

Is it plugged in

Is the light on

Have you tried turning it off and back on again

Ooklah with all it's advertising is far from reliable anymore