On road car parking charges going up.

There are many people who arrive 10-15 minutes early and sit in the car on peak hour bus lane restrictions (Bolsover St for example), until the restriction ends. They drive away as soon as they see the CEO approaching, but the ANPR vehicle will get them. It's also used for enforcing school keep clear markings.

I've seen people get there five minutes early but not as much as fifteen. But exactly how are you meant to time your arrival for precisely 9:30 am on the dot? I sometimes park there, but if I drive up from Hillsborough through Walkley, once I get past the top of Walkley Bank, every inch of road thereafter is restricted parking until 9:30. So if it looks as though I'm going to arrive in the bus lane a couple of minutes early, there's nowhere I can legally stop on the way to prevent myself doing so. And if you arrive at 9:31 there are no spaces left...

Stopping whilst still sat in the car isn't parking of course...

---------- Post added 05-08-2016 at 07:26 ----------

:hihi:

That's all we ever seem to hear on here... can't, can't, can't! :roll:

Let's think outside the box then... :huh:

How about introducing a 'congestion' charge (I've heard that's possible)...

... but only 'invoice' those people who have overstayed the parking restrictions? :idea:

Councils have no power to introduce congestion charges thank god.

Do you really believe that they'd only invoice people who parked badly? We'd all be hit by it, and they'd put it up at every possible opportunity, just like they were trying to put up on street parking.

Be careful what you wish for.

What happened to Pickles taking away the councils right to use camera cars? I thought the government said they could still be used at Schools? Do we still have them here?

Councils can still use camera enforcement in a limited number of places like, school keep clears, bus lanes, bus stop clearways. SCC have two camera vehicles.

---------- Post added 05-08-2016 at 08:31 ----------

I've seen people get there five minutes early but not as much as fifteen. But exactly how are you meant to time your arrival for precisely 9:30 am on the dot?

I drive past most mornings and have seen them there as early as 9.15. The CEO's pay them the odd visit and they become more punctual for a while.

Drive round the block or pull in somewhere else where its legal to wait. They won't give you a ticket for 5 minutes early but 10, they will.

SCC have introduced a PFI contract to cover bringing the roads up to a specified standard within 5 years and maintaining them to a specification for a further 20 years. It's a £2 billion contract.

SCC have to make an annual payment to the contractor as part of this contract. The surplus parking income goes to contribute to that payment.

Maintaining the highway covers many activites, like gritting, clearing up after road traffic collisions, fixing potholes, fixing / refurbishing traffic signals and street lights and signs, repainting yellow lines etc etc.

---------- Post added 04-08-2016 at 13:42 ----------

That's a rather old article. The price increases you refer to were in April 2013, more than three years ago. Ther have been none since.

---------- Post added 04-08-2016 at 13:47 ----------

Enforcing time limited waiting is a lot more labour intensive than enforcing pay and display.

The enforcement officer has to record the valve positions of all the car's wheels on each visit they make. It's much quicker just checking a pay and dsiplay ticket.

You'd need a lot more enforcement officers if you wanted to just do limited waiting.

The best way to reduce the costs is to move to cashless payment as much as possible. Telephone payment means you don't need the machine. Many authorities including SCC are looking to reduce the numbers of pay and dsiplay machines they have.

---------- Post added 04-08-2016 at 13:51 ----------

It actually costs SCC to allow you to use the telephone payment system. The system provider charges a percentage of what they take. The 20p "convenience fee" covers that cost.

---------- Post added 04-08-2016 at 13:53 ----------

The uses of parking surpluses are tightly regulated and you can't use it to reduce Council tax.

Yes indeed. It is surprising how often you see the word can't when it comes to reducing council tax.

wouldnt you agree a 40% hike is daylight robbery ?

and not getting any change from meters

---------- Post added 05-08-2016 at 21:04 ----------

a - yes they do

b - no, but neither do anyone elses. No mainstream manufacturer produces a pay and display machine that gives change. I only ever came across one small manufacturer that did. The manufacturer said they had some machines installed in Cornwall, but I've never actually seen one. You can pay by phone in the city centre if you don't have change.

but the private machines in multi-storey carparks give change .so why not fit them ?

but the private machines in multi-storey carparks give change .so why not fit them ?

Because pay on foot machines like that are designed to work under cover, with barrier control systems, which are very expensive. Ok in a 500 space multi-storey but too expensive for a surface level car park with anything from 20 to 130 spaces like the Council run.

Look at the similar size private sector surface level car parks, they are all pay and display, same as the Council ones (and they don't give change either)

Councils can still use camera enforcement in a limited number of places like, school keep clears, bus lanes, bus stop clearways. SCC have two camera vehicles.

---------- Post added 05-08-2016 at 08:31 ----------

I drive past most mornings and have seen them there as early as 9.15. The CEO's pay them the odd visit and they become more punctual for a while.

Drive round the block or pull in somewhere else where its legal to wait. They won't give you a ticket for 5 minutes early but 10, they will.

Changed then from a few years ago when there was limited parking on the left just before you turn right to the RHH. I was there at 9.29 and he moved me on saying no you can't park till 9.30.

Changed then from a few years ago when there was limited parking on the left just before you turn right to the RHH. I was there at 9.29 and he moved me on saying no you can't park till 9.30.

That really is pathetic.

Typical jobsworth traffic warden.

I thought the Government (Eric Pickles when he was responsible for Local Government) instruct councils to give 5 minutes grace?

I thought the Government (Eric Pickles when he was responsible for Local Government) instruct councils to give 5 minutes grace?

Only after a paid parking session has ended.

They normally don't issue a ticket within 5 minutes of a clearway start / end time, but they might ask someone arriving early to move on.

That really is pathetic.

Typical jobsworth traffic warden.

Traffic wardens are (were) employees of the police force and have been gradually phased out since 1988. Their parking enforcement duties are now mostly done by council employees, although they have no power to control or direct traffic.

The last few remaining wardens were abolished by Teresa May as home secretary earlier this year.