On road car parking charges going up.

So great news then for the bigboys then Sainsburys/Tesco/Morrisons who will continue to have enough regular income to continue from foot traffic, whilst the smaller /local shops lose any quick stop business.

Anyone wanting to do quick stops can get 15 minutes free parking in any council run pay and display parking outside the city centre. Instructions are on the p&d machines

---------- Post added 03-08-2016 at 00:07 ----------

Any rise should be in line with inflation and also take into account what coins the machines take. But I wonder what the millions in parking fines get spent on as it does not seem to get diverted back into the parking system.

Surplus income is spent on highway maintenance as part of the council contribution to the Streets Ahead contract.

Anyone wanting to do quick stops can get 15 minutes free parking in any council run pay and display parking outside the city centre. Instructions are on the p&d machines

What do they want for their generosity , a Blue Peter badge ? :roll:

Also , why only OUTSIDE the city centre ?

Also , why only OUTSIDE the city centre ?

Because not many people are going to drive into the city centre just to pop into a shop for 15 mins.

The businesses in the permit parking zones asked for this when the zones were being introduced, so as not to discourage passing trade. If city centre businesses want it, perhaps they should ask for it.

I'd like to see profits from these going into free public transport for vunerable groups

1 bus can carry 70 people

TO transport 70 people by car you need 70 cars, how many times do you see single occupancy cars in the rush hour?

I live on a major bus route with buses passing my house every few minutes and I wouldn't like to begin to say how many of these monsters pass with one or 2 people on or even empty

Do Sheffield's parking meters:

a - Take the 'new' coins yet?

b - Give change yet?

Do Sheffield's parking meters:

a - Take the 'new' coins yet?

b - Give change yet?

a - yes they do

b - no, but neither do anyone elses. No mainstream manufacturer produces a pay and display machine that gives change. I only ever came across one small manufacturer that did. The manufacturer said they had some machines installed in Cornwall, but I've never actually seen one. You can pay by phone in the city centre if you don't have change.

a - yes they do

b - no, but neither do anyone elses. No mainstream manufacturer produces a pay and display machine that gives change. I only ever came across one small manufacturer that did. The manufacturer said they had some machines installed in Cornwall, but I've never actually seen one. You can pay by phone in the city centre if you don't have change.

Good to see they've updated the machines to take all the coins of the realm rather than only taking those minted in certain years.

Shame that the council chose to install machines that rip people off by not giving change when there was a machine available that would have met this requirement. The technology of machines giving change has been available for years and is hardly rocket science.

A cynic would think such a policy of not giving change was an intentional money fleecing scheme.

They have plans to roll out the telephone payment system to the whole of the city, which is useful if you don't want to rely on the p&d machine.

The surplus income is spent on highway maintenance.

Great, we can all pay an extra 20p for the convenience of them not having to bother with machines anymore.

---------- Post added 03-08-2016 at 19:22 ----------

There's an easy answer to this. STOP VOTING LABOUR for the council.

---------- Post added 03-08-2016 at 19:23 ----------

Put it into context.

Me and the misses and the kids decide to go to Broomhill to shop (god knows why these days there's not much left there). Leave the car behind because we fancy stopping off for a drink.

52 bus, me and her 2 quid each, son has NUS so hes just a quid but daughter is in that no mans land of being 16 but not able to get her new travel card till she re enrols at King Teds so shes 2 quid as well.

So as a family that is 7 quid one way.

At 14 quid return suddenly 70p an hour to park looks like a bargain so maybe forgo the drink out and pay those extortionate parking charge.

In reality it would be a walk to Broomhill then an Uber back at 4 quid I guess.

Surely a family ticket exists.

Well I seems that because of the backlash SCC have now back-tracked on this:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/sheffield-council-back-tracks-on-proposed-parking-charge-increase-1-8049528

---------- Post added 03-08-2016 at 20:45 ----------

Surplus income is spent on highway maintenance as part of the council contribution to the Streets Ahead contract.

First, what is surplus income?

And.. SCC can if it wished also spend it on parking related problems as well.

First, what is surplus income?

And.. SCC can if it wished also spend it on parking related problems as well.

Surplus income is how the legislation which governs how Councils administer parking income describes income which exceeds the cost of providing the service. Profit is what most people might call it.

Yes, they could spend the money on improving the parking stock. The use of the money is tightly regulated but there is a choice of things they can spend it on.

Parking Services do have an annual budget for replacing older pay and display machines.

Edited by Planner1

Because not many people are going to drive into the city centre just to pop into a shop for 15 mins.

The businesses in the permit parking zones asked for this when the zones were being introduced, so as not to discourage passing trade. If city centre businesses want it, perhaps they should ask for it.

I went into the city today purely to find 2 of the elephants near the Henderson's old factory. Parked up and knew I'd only be 10 minutes so tried to press the green button for a 15 minute ticket but couldn't. Had to pay £1 to park for 10 minutes! These elephants are starting to cost a lot if money in quick parking tickets! !

I went into the city today purely to find 2 of the elephants near the Henderson's old factory. Parked up and knew I'd only be 10 minutes so tried to press the green button for a 15 minute ticket but couldn't. Had to pay £1 to park for 10 minutes! These elephants are starting to cost a lot if money in quick parking tickets! !

The modern equivalent of 'computer says no', hence you go for the least-worst option :hihi: