Shot blasting/Powder Coating recommendations

Who did this? I've been looking for someone who can do this for quite a while, even as far as Bradford and Nottingham.

My car has very thin metal (designed to, not rusted through), so anything more than glass bead is bound to distort the panels. I am currently thinking of buying the equipment to do soda blasting so that I can do it myself, although the space to do it is proving quite problematical. Soda blasting is even less likely to distort the panels than bead and the equipment is not particularly expensive.

The soda itself is cheap but explodes upon impact so not re-usable.

Is soda blasting stuff that cheap?

I thought it was even more industrial than sandblasting?

There is this lot at Halifax, though I've never used them myself.

Just out of curiosity, what's the car?

It's a Citroën 2CV that I'm hoping to restore to concours over the next year … hence my thread about hydrochloric acid for electroplating which I can now do myself in various finishes ... bright zinc passivate and zinc yellow passivate especially at the mo, but going to be doing replica chrome in the near future. Plus the reason why I'm looking at powder coaters in the other thread.

Not everone's idea of a classic car, but a design icon so far as I'm concerned.

The company I buy my plating chemicals off is hoping to introduce a home powder coating kit soon, which I can do smaller bits with.

I prefer to do as much as possible myself as that's where the fun of re-building is (not open cheque book stuff) :)

---------- Post added 24-08-2016 at 12:53 ----------

Is soda blasting stuff that cheap?

I thought it was even more industrial than sandblasting?

You can do it with a gravity feed gun using soda that's around £65.00 for 25kg. Non toxic too which is an advantage. I believe it was first used in the '80's for cleaning the inside and outside of the Statue of Liberty without causing any damage.

I used the company that was at Sheepbridge, now just off Brimington Road.. cant remember the name. DFB I think....

Shotblasting is a process where fine steel balls, powdered glass, or some other abrasive material is jetted by compressed air onto items, which cleans rust and debris off prior to painting. Powder coating is an electrostatic coating, an item is sprayed with a powder, which is melted in an oven to give a hopefully nice long lasting finish.

Cheers for the info

Does anyone know anywhere in sheffield, Rotherham, chesterfield, Worksop and surrounding areas, that can shot blast my 18 inch bmw alloys and powder coat them and could give me a price

Auto Dynamics on Attercliffe Road do this 0114 2431019

I'm looking to get a large item shot blasted. Is there anywhere on Sheffield that would take one off work?

I'm looking to get a large item shot blasted. Is there anywhere on Sheffield that would take one off work?

I've just got back some stuff that CBF Powder Coating have done for me and it's excellent. They have an impressively large workshop with a pretty big blasting room. Very friendly and excellent value.

It's a Citroën 2CV that I'm hoping to restore to concours over the next year …

did you get the steel angle you were after?

did you get the steel angle you were after?

Not as yet, I was going to have a chat with you when I get the chance to get on with it. I've been investigating adhesives to join metal instead of welding, thinking this would negate any kinds of heat distortion on flat metal. It sounds pretty alien to my way of thinking, although reading up on stuff (and You-tube vids), it's got me wondering.

I'm well aware that adhesive is used a lot in modern car manufacture for the reason I've mentioned, plus the fact that in the right application it's even stronger than weld. Obviously, I couldn't use adhesive for fitting new floor pans but it may be fine for my bonnet repair which is a long lap-joint (probably using a toggled rebate).

This idea is purely for quality of repair and nothing to do with costing (adhesive is more expensive than welding)

Do you have any knowledge on using adhesives? :huh:

I would stick to welding a lap joint on an exterior panel because adhesives have a tendency to shrink back,and can crack under movement especially on a 2cv bonnet with them not being the sturdiest of panels...