Any Viners workers, 1970`s out there?

Are there any ex Viners workers from the seventies out there - especially Quality Controllers?

My father in law - sadly deceased was a tool maker at Viners. He went there from Mappin and Webb

hi ,just come acroos this subject.i worked at viners ltd from 1974, was in the despatch warehouse with six others,our manager at the time was ron booth.played cricket for them in works league.got made redundant in 84 when it was going downhill.

Yes, I remember Mr Booth, Warehouse Manager...serious type, large black glasses ?? Never saw him without his white coat...can`t recall any fellas in that warehouse, just females!!We had an `inspection office` on the first floor..

Quality Control...

My Mum worked there for a while as a secretary in the 60's. Always remember a set of cutlery she had bought there. 6 pieces and each piece was like a spoon, knife and fork all in one. very handy for picnics, desserts etc. I have never seen anything like it since. I had one left just before I left the country in 1981.

yeah mr,booth was a serious type,could never see the funny side of things !!! the girls on the floor above us did all the picking of orders ,we did the packaging and despatch of goods,matrix packing was required for the tea sets ,what a pain that was .24 four peice sets into one tri-wall container :)

Edited by bothamlad

yeah mr,booth was a serious type,could never see the funny side of things !!! the girls on the floor above us did all the picking of orders ,we did the packaging and despatch of goods,matrix packing was required for the tea sets ,what a pain that was .24 four peice sets into one tri-wall container :)

---------- Post added 02-02-2017 at 08:36 ----------

hey t.t,think that could have been called a splade ,weirdest bit of cutlery ive seen :loopy:

my mother and her sister worked there from the thirties and my mum until my dad was so ll so she looked to him, she worked as a buffer and lastly in what was called re pro shop, she worked with annie alibone who had worked there i think 50 years, viners gave her a slap up reception to mark the day i still have the menu of the meal and the photo of the day .

after she died in 1973, i went to viners and met denis appleyard who was the foreman he asked me if i wanted to look round where my mother worked and i said yes, to think my mother worked in that buffing shop it was worse than you could imagine to think she worked in a place like that it was a hell hole, it's no wonder they were later known as angels in brown paper.a couple of names come to mind, rosie britten,rosie berrill,maybe the last two are the same person another surname was pitts

Edited by willybite

My Mum worked there for a while as a secretary in the 60's. Always remember a set of cutlery she had bought there. 6 pieces and each piece was like a spoon, knife and fork all in one. very handy for picnics, desserts etc. I have never seen anything like it since. I had one left just before I left the country in 1981.

hi,the item you have left is called a splayd T.T, came in presentation box of 6.They were very popular for a while,we had a box and i got our relatives bxs too (subsidized price for staff )

I worked there in offices 1975-1977 ish.

The splayds can be bought on eBay

I bought some a couple of years ago,wouldn't be without them!

I worked there in offices 1975-1977 ish.

The splayds can be bought on eBay

I bought some a couple of years ago,wouldn't be without them!

just wondered if you remember john turner wages manager ,i used to be up there trying to sort out discrepancies in my wage packet. We had a bonus scheme and the payment was wrong on a regular basis :roll:

Sorry I was in accounts,wages office was opposite ours,vaguely remember Mrs Robinson?mary ? And Janet ,had red hair and a limp I think.Mr bullers was a manager and also mr crossey who was accounts manager