Christian protest at Pride - Endcliffe Park

It may annoy you that the annual Sheffield Pride is 'shoved down your throat', but after the Orlando shootings especially, Pride events world wide are necessary.

I don't know the figures for Black and Minority Ethnic groups, but as has been pointed out before members of the LGBT community are more likely to self harm, suffer mental health difficulties, attempt and commit suicide. It is accepted that difficulties in coming out and internalised homophobia are the chief causes. Nothing to do with Pride events.

Yes some LGBT people abuse and are hateful of other LGBT people. I personally don't like the over sexualisation of gay men by other men; and the crude way some gay men treat others as a piece of meat. It's cheap and grotty. Though I'm pretty sure that some straight men look at women in a leering way.

Where did I say that Sheffield Pride was 'shoved down my throat' ?

Go back and read my post, it was a response to those very words being used by alchresearch, and it was me stating that generally I did not want anything shoved down my throat, so please don't change the context to suit.

---------- Post added 10-08-2016 at 17:13 ----------

You've altered my statement somewhat. I said "Its the blacks, the gays, the foreigners who get abuse and attacked". So, with that in mind, just three recent examples from dozens:

Black people still far more likely to be stopped and searched by police than other ethnic groups

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/black-people-still-far-more-likely-to-be-stopped-and-searched-by-police-than-other-ethnic-groups-10444436.html

Eddie Izzard 'was subjected to homophobic abuse in the street after refusing to give passers-by a ride in his classic 1958 VW Beetle'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3731408/Transvestite-comedian-Eddie-Izzard-subjected-homophobic-abuse-street-refusing-passers-ride-classic-1958-VW-Beetle.html

Gay man films 'homophobic abuse' after argument breaks out between passengers on packed bus

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gay-man-films-homophobic-abuse-8345330

Angela Eagle subjected to ‘homophobic abuse’ from Jeremy Corbyn supporters

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/07/05/angela-eagle-subjected-to-homophobic-abuse-from-jeremy-corbyn-supporters/

#PostRefRacism: Racist hate crime jumped 42% during Brexit referendum

https://www.rt.com/uk/350223-racism-hate-crime-brexit/

Exaggeration and media hype? Prove it.

Why should I prove anything, it's an opinion I have and I will stick to it, grab as many links as you like, if you want to go along with media hype and exaggeration more fool you !

---------- Post added 10-08-2016 at 17:15 ----------

Do Gay Pride events come into this category for you I wonder?

No they don't as it happens, but people with your attitude on here that's another thing :D

Edited by Michael_W

Go back and read my post, it was a response to those very words being used by alchresearch, and it was me stating that generally I did not want anything shoved down my throat, so please don't change the context to suit.

Why should I prove anything, it's an opinion I have and I will stick to it, grab as many links as you like, if you want to go along with media hype and exaggeration more fool you !

No they don't as it happens, but people with your attitude on here that's another thing :D

Nice sidestepping there Michael. So is the reality that you're completely comfortable with homosexuality?

What aspects do you find are being 'shoved down your throat' exactly? I live in Sheffield and had no idea the pride event was happening. I may just not be very observant, but I probably would have noticed if it was in my throat.

People stating that certain groups are hard done to all the time is 'shoving it down my throat', if you must know. The wishy washy agendas and the propaganda surrounding homophobia, racism, hate crime blah blah blah ..... most of it is greatly exaggerated IMHO !

---------- Post added 10-08-2016 at 17:22 ----------

Nice sidestepping there Michael. So is the reality that you're completely comfortable with homosexuality?

No problem with it at all fella, though I do believe the media agenda of promoting it is an unnecessary way of getting people to accept it.

Edited by Michael_W

Sincere apologies if I misquoted you Michael. You seem to be rather touchy....It was only a few posts ago that you were mentioning that in response to homophobia gay people shouldn't complain but should "get over themselves".

One rule for one?

The irony and hypocrisy that surrounds the subjects of gender, sexuality, race, religion, equality etc. is astounding. The same people who expect everyone else to accept them (which generally in the western world they do) seem so happy to categorise and pity themselves in a very me, me, me sort of way.

Lots of people have it tough, don't get the breaks, get ignored, get picked on or bullied during their lifetime regardless of what they are, but it seems that if you belong to a particular group some feel as if they are the only ones who suffer, it's nonsense .... get over yourselves please.

People stating that certain groups are hard done to all the time is 'shoving it down my throat', if you must know. The wishy washy agendas and the propaganda surrounding homophobia, racism, hate crime blah blah blah ..... most of it is greatly exaggerated IMHO !

---------- Post added 10-08-2016 at 17:22 ----------

No problem with it at all fella, though I do believe the media agenda of promoting it is an unnecessary way of getting people to accept it.

Forgive me but I'm a bit confused. You have no problem with homosexuality, but do not agree with the supposed 'media agenda' of 'promoting' it, whatever that means. I believe President Putin has a similar stance.

We are discussing this because of the fact that some Christians decided to picket the event and tell the people attending that they were going to hell. Whether or not you think that is media propaganda or not, it happened, and were it not for this fact we would not be discussing it at all. I'm not sure how that fits with your idea that certain groups are 'shoving it down your throats' that they are hard done by.

I actually could not be bothered to read any more after the first two pages. People reading a comic book who think they have a grip on humanity should actually take a good look at themselves. I think they will find that people who don't read these comics are far more tolerant of others, as they pretend to be, and actually embrace those differences whilst understanding that we are all different physiologically due to nature, and not due to a comic book in the sky that is telling them a different "STORY"

Mountains out of molehills this story. If you get hurt than that's fair enough but if you choose to be hurt then your crying over spilt milk

I actually could not be bothered to read any more after the first two pages. People reading a comic book who think they have a grip on humanity should actually take a good look at themselves. I think they will find that people who don't read these comics are far more tolerant of others, as they pretend to be, and actually embrace those differences whilst understanding that we are all different physiologically due to nature, and not due to a comic book in the sky that is telling them a different "STORY"

"A comic book or comicbook,[1] also called comic magazine or simply comic, is a publication that consists of comic art in the form of sequential juxtaposed panels that represent individual scenes. Panels are often accompanied by brief descriptive prose and written narrative, usually dialog contained in word balloons emblematic of the comics art form. Although comics has some origins in 18th century Japan and 1830s Europe, comic books were first popularized in the United States during the 1930s. The first modern comic book, Famous Funnies, was released in the United States in 1933 and was a reprinting of earlier newspaper humor comic strips, which had established many of the story-telling devices used in comics.[2] The term comic book derives from American comic books once being a compilation of comic strips of a humorous tone; however, this practice was replaced by featuring stories of all genres, usually not humorous in tone"

Please stop referring to the Bible as a Comic Book. As per the definition above, it's clearly not a Comic Book. I know you are attempting to look clever by belittling the Bible (kudos on that by the way) but if you must do that, at least refer to it as a Storybook like most of the non-believers on here. The Comic Book comparison is just plain wrong and idiotic. :loopy:

Where's this Comic Book in the sky? I can't see it in the sky tonight? Does it rise with the sun or the moon? Or it is like an eclipse whereby I need special glasses to look upon it?

I know you are attempting to look clever by belittling the Bible

It's just so easy with something that's plainly illogical and made up. :D

True it doesn't meet the dictionary definition of a comic book, but I would agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment that it's 1) comical and 2) a book.

But back on track with the discussion - Christians, and every other group, should and do have a right to demonstrate in a peaceful manner against whatever they feel is wrong. The way they went about it went over the line into hate speech and I am disappointed that the police didn't intervene sooner.

Haddock is right - people comment on here masking barely their distaste that someone is different from them .. Diversity and toleration of it is the hallmark of a true democracy and free speech ..

Its the list of outrages posted earlier on in this thread that outline precisely the need to still have Prides !

If the christians concerned were having a church service and gays and lesbians invaded it with placards would they be much pleased?

Haddock is right - people comment on here masking barely their distaste that someone is different from them .. Diversity and toleration of it is the hallmark of a true democracy and free speech ..

Its the list of outrages posted earlier on in this thread that outline precisely the need to still have Prides !

If the christians concerned were having a church service and gays and lesbians invaded it with placards would they be much pleased?

We could always find out which church the protesters came from and pay them a visit anyone up for it? :hihi:

Sincere apologies if I misquoted you Michael. You seem to be rather touchy....It was only a few posts ago that you were mentioning that in response to homophobia gay people shouldn't complain but should "get over themselves".

One rule for one?

Not touchy at all me Mister M, with regards to people getting over themselves, well that was not just directed exclusively at gay people but the general modern day attitude that certain groups are oppressed, it seems to get spun quite a bit in the media and on here in my opinion.

Let's not forget that we do live in a very tolerant society in the UK and have done for years, so why some nowadays feel the need to look to be offended all the time I don't know.

Call me old fashioned but I preferred how older generations seemed to have a much more dignified and level headed approach to dealing with things, as opposed to today's social media generation, which seems to be full of people obsessed with highlighting their own moral outrage and self righteousness.