Christian protest at Pride - Endcliffe Park

They were a disgrace. I'm religious and I accept all living things - gender and sexuality means nothing to me. That's why me and my boyfriend went to Pride. It's not about shouting about LGBT - it's about a community coming together and supporting a group that have gone through the awful bigotry that they did for so long. I'm proud that Sheffield doesn't *really* need a "Pride" as such - I think we're a very open city. But Saturday was very sad to see :(

The problem is though, if you believe the Bible to be true, you have to believe that God almighty himself strictly forbids homosexuality (according to Leviticus). How does a Christian deal with that?

Outrageous behavior to turn up at Pride with such a negative and unpleasant attitude. How would they like it if we turned up at their church singing Glad to be Gay during the sermon.

The problem is though, if you believe the Bible to be true, you have to believe that God almighty himself strictly forbids homosexuality (according to Leviticus). How does a Christian deal with that?

If you believe the bible to be true, there are lots of very different things you have to believe - some of which contradict each other in the fine details, some of which contradict each other in spirit and emphasis. Believers have always had to be a bit flexible about how they resolve these problems - for example is it more important to condemn a sinner or to love your neighbour?

If you believe the bible to be true, there are lots of very different things you have to believe - some of which contradict each other in the fine details, some of which contradict each other in spirit and emphasis. Believers have always had to be a bit flexible about how they resolve these problems - for example is it more important to condemn a sinner or to love your neighbour?

This!!!! Thank you.

I personally believe in not being a bad person and never judging somebody. I believe that we were all put on this earth for a reason, even if some are to test us.

Also this. Sums it up perfectly for me. Thank you :)

S x

If the gay folks can go and protest at events, so can the christians....equality and all that.

Nutters on both sides is the way I see it.

For all things I do in life I don't go to pride parades.

There is no small business owner pride parade, fox hunter pride parade, mountain bike rider pride parade, went to gym on 2 January pride parade and so on.

Gays have equal rights now so there is no case for gay activists any more.

Most people that are gay don't identify themselves as exclusively gay.

And you can't tell unless they tell you.

If you ask them 'who are you' they will reply with myriad of answers because being gay is just a part of them, not whole of it.

In my personal opinion people who consider going to such an event - irrespective of motives and sides they represent - should get a life, clearly they have too much time to waste.

If the gay folks can go and protest at events, so can the christians....equality and all that.

Going to a peaceful meeting with megaphones chanting anti gay sentiment is not about equality but incitement and should therefore be classed as hate crime.

This!!!! Thank you.

I personally believe in not being a bad person and never judging somebody. I believe that we were all put on this earth for a reason, even if some are to test us.

You don't need to judge people, God judges plenty of people, homosexual included.

If any adherent of Abrhamic religion isn't homophobic, they are doing it wrong.

Nutters on both sides is the way I see it.

For all things I do in life I don't go to pride parades.

There is no small business owner pride parade, fox hunter pride parade, mountain bike rider pride parade, went to gym on 2 January pride parade and so on.

Gays have equal rights now so there is no case for gay activists any more.

Most people that are gay don't identify themselves as exclusively gay.

And you can't tell unless they tell you.

If you ask them 'who are you' they will reply with myriad of answers because being gay is just a part of them, not whole of it.

In my personal opinion people who consider going to such an event - irrespective of motives and sides they represent - should get a life, clearly they have too much time to waste.

That's not strictly true. The European Region of the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association has graded each country in terms of LGBT equality and the UK scored 81%. Thats the third best in Europe behind Belgium (82%) and Malta (88%), but still not 100%.

https://rainbow-europe.org/#0/0/0

I'd also be interested in seeing some evidence that most people that are gay don't identify themselves as exclusively gay. The Office for National Statistics says that 1.1% of people identify as gay and only 0.4% identify as bisexual.

Also, there is nothing stopping small business owners, mountain bikers etc etc from organising pride parades if they so wished. They probably don't feel it is necessary as they didn't grow up in a society where being a mountain biker or small business owner was illegal, or that being either of those is punishable by death in other countries.

The thing is, to have to cherry pick your truths from a book is generally a good indicator that said book can't be true. If it contradicts itself (which is many times, rather than just some times) how can it be true?

...and if you have to choose what to believe and what to ignore, are you going to ignore the parts that are supposedly God's own direct commands?