Purchased item on internet

The OP is obviously a dishonest person.

why do you say that?

there is nothing in the original post which indicates that

if a company makes a mistake on their pricing and deliver goods at that price then that's good luck for the purchaser.

Please gamston why are you saying that the op is a dishonest person not sure what you mean?

As I understand it, once payment has been taken a contract has been agreed and they must honour it.

Keep it quiet though, the less people who buy it the more chance you have to get it at the miss price (that said, pls drop me a quick link if they are still at this low price :) ).

Not sure about that really. We paid for an item in B&Q which had to be delivered. They had a lot in stock but they sold them all before the delivery date and phoned to say they were out of stock and wouldn't be getting any more. I went down to sort it out. Now I would have thought they would have put one aside for delivery when we paid but they said they have nowhere to store anything so they don't do that.

Please gamston why are you saying that the op is a dishonest person not sure what you mean?

An honest person would telephone or email the company and tell them that they think they have have made a mistake in the pricing.

T&C's can't change the way contract law works though. The exchange of monies forms the contract generally, otherwise, without a contract in place, they could just keep your money and supply nothing.

Most online stores have something in the terms and conditions now that cover for such things....

I remember a big Amazon foul-up a few years ago with something, (can't remember quite what) but they offered something at £25 that should have been £2500 (or somewhere there abouts) they had loads of orders, some even got through to confirmation stage, and paid for etc..

they then cancelled all orders and refunded everyone...

What that actually says is that they reserve the right to cancel (ie this is a term of the contract that HAS been formed).

The situation is not as clear-cut online.

The legally binding contract is complete when a retailer accepts an order. However, acceptance does not necessarily happen at the point of order. Even the confirmation email may not be an acceptance. Some retailers reserve the right to cancel an order up to the point of delivery.

So it's not that the contract hasn't been formed, it's simply that there is an option for them to terminate the contract, much like a customer could return something.

So they've taken your money and no contract to supply anything exists... They could just choose to keep it...

I assue you mean this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36941960

HP has apologised after an error on its website let shoppers buy expensive laptop computers for less than £2.

One device was listed with a previous sale price of £2,376, but was "reduced" to £1.58.

The computer firm briefly took its UK store offline on Saturday to resolve the error and said it would not honour the sales which had been made.

according to consumer rights group Citizens Advice, retailers can often cancel online orders if they have made a "genuine and honest mistake on their part that you should have noticed".

How some morons didn't think ordering 100's of laptops at £2 a piece wasn't going to get noticed I don't know.

IIRC it is an offer to purchase - so if the company don't supply the goods they obviously cant keep the money.

An offer occurs when you make an offer, verbally, in writing, etc... When you hand over money a contract has been formed. That contract can include terms to allow either party to cancel though of course.

An offer occurs when you make an offer, verbally, in writing, etc... When you hand over money a contract has been formed. That contract can include terms to allow either party to cancel though of course.

Good luck fighting this one in court. The Law is simple. Mistakes happen, he retailer is not required to sell the item for the price advertised. Debit cards are also not the same as handing over cash. The Retailer will lock the amount on order, but most only debit the amount when the item ships.