Options for leaving a dog outside a store - SECURELY?

Hi, we're after a little bit of advice from any outdoors-loving dog owners.

Many of our customers have dogs, and are disappointed that we aren't able to allow dogs in-store. It's a shame that because we have in the past had instances of "presents" being left in a tent (sadly once again a small minority spoiling things for every other dog owner); plus the fact that we have an in-store cafe mean that we have to take the decision of "guide dogs only"

We are aware that HSE rules apply to food PREPARATION areas and not seating however some customers are not comfortable with the fact that to exit the store the dog must go through the cafe area. It's a case of struggling to please everyone and of course we never want customers to leave their dog locked in a car especially in this hot summer.

So we're looking at options...the simplest is of course to add a couple of tethering points and a watering station by the door which will be added imminently, but we're aware that people might like to spend a while in the store, and leaving a dog outside, even in an area covered by CCTV, is a security risk so we'd like to explore other possible options.

We've seen lockable leads with a steel cable running through but unfortunately they all seem to need "setting" to the dog's collar size on first, fit, so not really suitable for using for a range of dogs. And of course other issues like nervous or socially "awkward" (for want of a better description) dogs who might not like being approached by other dogs make things difficult too.

So we're looking for suggestions - has anyone seen and clever / useful dog "parking" setups that are secure and safe, and suitable for a range of dogs, so that we can offer an option rather than having to leave your dog at home

The problem is that as soon as you make it an official place to leave your dog and claim to offer even the least security then you could become liable if something does happen and either one dog attacks another, a dog is stolen or a dog catches something from another dog in the area.

I've seen (on the net, not in real life) boxes that are like left luggage lockers, but I can foresee how hard they would be to clean, how hard it would be to get the right size for large dogs, how difficult it would be to ventilate them and how really dreadful it would be to put your dog in there if another dog had urinated or vomited in there.

No dog of mine would ever go in one of those, and even if I did put her in there she would howl the place down.

Personally, I think that the safest thing would be to encourage customers not to bring their dogs with them at all. Don't leave them in the car, don't leave them outside the store, don't bring them at all.

too true medusa it cant take that long to walk round and pay a visit we have been many times before to towsure and i would not bring my dog unless coming far afield if so you might have to offer doggy camping in the form of a doggy creche but a tad extreme for how long folks would be in store no way ever would i ever consider a dog or any animal to be left outside unsupervised in todays world i would strongly recommend stay at home dogs you only need 1 incident and your reputation could be down the pan err on side of caution where living things are concerned

---------- Post added 30-07-2016 at 21:13 ----------

also think you need to state on your website your in a city and not suitable to bring dogs that way folks can make alternative arrangments for there dogs

---------- Post added 30-07-2016 at 21:23 ----------

or towsure link up with a couple of dog creches what are up and running owners could drop there dogs off before paying you a visit and you maybe able to offer discounts to each other and customers worth researching

I wouldnt be at all comfortBle leaving Jesse unsupervised and either we take it in turns to go into a shop or we prefer those where our dog is welcome too. Im saddened that there are dog owners that dont keep a close eye on their pets when invited into a dog friendly store: they are just making it worse for those of us who are courteous. I am getting a tad fed up of that excuse about not letting dogs into eating areas (some children are less well behaved) but I can see that it would deter some customers.

Go outdoors permits well behaved dogs And we often have a mooch round there

Why not get a few travel boxes / cages inside or outside the store and charge for a combination code lock or padlock for the box. Money refundable on return of the lock or proof the box is clean. I'm thinking of these type boxes we have in our car:

http://www.lintran.co.uk/

If customers were responsible dog owners they would had these boxes in their car their car anyway. They can leave their tail gate open and their car in the shade and the box locked.

Go outdoors permits well behaved dogs And we often have a mooch round there

They do indeed, and that's why I travel all the way from Stocksbridge to go there to get outdoors stuff over any other store!

The only really secure option would be lockable cages bolted to the floor/wall.

Personally I wouldn't use it though as my dog would probably screech the place down... I'd just leave her at home if it was too warm to leave her in the car.

They do indeed, and that's why I travel all the way from Stocksbridge to go there to get outdoors stuff over any other store!

The only really secure option would be lockable cages bolted to the floor/wall.

Personally I wouldn't use it though as my dog would probably screech the place down... I'd just leave her at home if it was too warm to leave her in the car.

We would leave Jesse at home too, if we really needed to go to another store, it's just nice when there are shops that welcome dogs and we (hopefully) respect other shoppers and would always supervise her on a short lead and never go in with a wet dog or muddy boots either. We like that some of the outdoors shops in Derbyshire permit dogs too.

The lockable crates have become popular in some areas but I wouldn't leave my dogs in one. Some dogs simply wouldn't cope and I just know that leaving a dog in one would likely result in people gathering to see (especially if you have a breed that attracts people like my damatians do) which would further upset dogs not used to being left in such a way.

I don't think there really is a safe way to leave a dog outside, sadly. Not unless you have a friend with you who will wait outside which is what I do if going somewhere and want to leave my dogs. If I can't do that, and it's not cool enough for the car, they don't come along.

On another note - your sign should read 'assistance dogs only' not 'guide dogs only'. Guide dogs are dogs for the blind but there are many working assistance dogs for varying disabilities who have passed their public access test and are qualified working dogs with legal access to stores etc. :)

If you started stocking and selling something like this, it would solve the issue for small dogs. Youd need to have them positioned near the front door.

I wonder what a great dane would look like in a roller suitcase? :hihi:

http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/3Petzzz_Pet_Car_Seat_Carrier_and_Trolley.htm?product_id=115906&&affiliate=CGW-google-shopping&gclid=CPP4p9CusM4CFUtsGwodicMMyg

Edited by Scozzie

Have a room with dog cages, and someone in the room, at all times, and charge a fee for leaving your dog safe.

I have dogs, and its a real nightmare when shopping, i have to leave them at home, i wont even leave them in the car, its not safe.

I find that stores that depend on dog owners money will allow them in. In the Lake district nearly everywhere from corner shops, to clothes shops to pubs, cafes and restaurants all allow dogs in as they depend on the income. in the nicer places you might be limited to an area.

I guess your problem will be that many outdoor type shops do allow dogs in them so I guess it is if you are happy to loose that business or banning dogs will increase the business in the cafe to offset the money lost from dog owners, it not as if dog owning customers in Sheffield have that much choice, we are used to having to leave dogs at home.

I have seen plastic crates outside shops abroad that are padlocked shut and bolted into the floor....but factor in the cleaning costs and buying costs to the damage that one careless owner does inside the shop I cannot see them being cost effective. http://barkpost.com/dog-parking-boxes/

I hate that careless owners ruin it for everyone else.

If you started stocking and selling something like this, it would solve the issue for small dogs. Youd need to have them positioned near the front door.

I wonder what a great dane would look like in a roller suitcase? :hihi:

http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/3Petzzz_Pet_Car_Seat_Carrier_and_Trolley.htm?product_id=115906&&affiliate=CGW-google-shopping&gclid=CPP4p9CusM4CFUtsGwodicMMyg

Dobermanns are velcro dogs - so they won't do being locked in any kind of cage away from their owners, lol.