Cold calling 'Tree Surgeons'

I have MIXED response to what I've just read.

Telling some one, any one, to **** *** is not adviseable at all. It would provoke most of us and certainly puts you at fault in responding that way. Also, an afternoon at NGH getting your nose straightened isn't worth it.

Recently, I had a white van pull up when gardening and I was offered various tools. The guy was focussed, persistent but polite .... he just wanted me to take a look, though I said I wasn't interested. As I liked the Irish accent I did have a gander.

I repeated I wasn't interested but more importantly I said I already had such tools. That is the best response.

Whoever calls simply tell them you are on it. 'Being done tomorrow' or ' do it all myself' or ' My son does that work.' Anything that simply shows you don't need to pay someone. No quotes when it gets done free!

Also, cut the conversation dead. If you listen to the radio they constantly cut people off mid sentence. Saying 'No Thanks' or 'Got to go' or ' You're the second bloke this week' and closing the door doesn't seem too difficult at all. And it works. I've never met anyone yet who will hold a conversation with a panel of UPVC. Sow the seed of doubt as well ...... someone else has been in this area.

Keep your calm and shut the door.

it works with the Jehovah's witnesses and few match their determination!

What area is this in?

What area is this in?

S8, as mentioned above.

I generally just don't answer the door if it's someone I don't know or aren't expecting. Solves all the aggro.

you should have got a pic on your mobile phone.

:thumbsup:

there is way too much cold calling these days i have bought signes for my doors and still they knock. one says politely no leaflets they now leave them on the windowsil

We didn't actually answer the door. We were in front of our house & saw him heading up our neighbours drive. (he'd already asked us if we needed any trees cutting...quite obviously we don't have any trees & we said no, so that apparently gave him the 'hump' to begin with.)We asked him not to bother our neighbour but being ignorant he continued on his own agenda.

We have CCTV & have yet to look at but from the position that he was threatening my partner it will be on there.

Best response to this, "oh I'm sorry mate I'm a tenant" job done good day.

Best response to this, "oh I'm sorry mate I'm a tenant" job done good day.

Clever :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 01-08-2016 at 00:33 ----------

there is way too much cold calling these days

Sign of the times :(

And times are hard..

And be getting harder :shakes:

Since Brexit :mad:

Clever :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 01-08-2016 at 00:33 ----------

Sign of the times :(

And times are hard..

And be getting harder :shakes:

Since Brexit :mad:

Used to be a tenant and it was excellent every time someone knocked, oh sorry it's not our house you'd need to speak the estate agent to get hold of the landlady. They always just said okay no worries thanks. So now as a home owner I just keep saying I'm a tenant :hihi:

Just had 'Tree & Garden' services in our area cold calling. 2 men in a flat-bed truck with cage sides reg <removed>

The 'door knocker' got very aggressive when we asked him politely not to knock on our neighbours door as they have their own gardener.

Very threatening & aggressive & made a reference of 'you won't always

be in your house!' (this was in front of our small children too).

Obviously not nice.

101 notified & they soon scarpered when they realised we were phoning.

Please be aware.

Sheffield City Council Trading Standards monitor and investigate incidents of cold calling and doorstep crime and would be interested in talking to you further about this incident.

Could you please contact us on 0114 2736290 or at trading.standards@sheffield.gov.uk.

Thanks.

Used to be a tenant and it was excellent every time someone knocked, oh sorry it's not our house you'd need to speak the estate agent to get hold of the landlady. They always just said okay no worries thanks. So now as a home owner I just keep saying I'm a tenant :hihi:

:thumbsup: