Best Views In and around Sheffield??

I always like the view when you are going down to totley from Owler bar in the afternoon when the sun is shining it just looks good.:rolleyes:

It's not exactly Sheffield but i'm working in Palterton near Bolsover castle and the view is brilliant. You can see all the way back to Sheffield! :o

I might take my camera tomorrow and take a few snaps.

I would love to see Bolsover Castle. The present one was built only about three hundred years ago and was built for show really. The original Castle was built by William Peveril the Sheriff of Nottingham. He also built Nottingham Castle and Peveril Castle at Castleton. A very powerful man. He and Roger de Buslie who built Tickhill Castle just off the Great North Road (Watling Street as it was then) owned most of the land in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Yorkshire.

Just a hobby thats all. Sorry, only I thought you might be interested.

Bolsover is what i call a real castle. It looks absolutely massive from the motorway. Very impressive indeed.

great thread, thanks to whoever started it.

Wot would b great is if we could get some photos of some of these, i would love to see them as im sure alotta people would, great night/day shots etc.

What a great idea, I will search through my archives and post some on.

What a great idea, I will search through my archives and post some on.

Yes. Click on the link to see a few snowy shots of Sheffield

http://www.panoramio.com/user/1027207&comments_page=1&photos_page=17 but if you want to see a wider variety of shots taken around the city click on my signature below, that's if you've got the time to go through 90 odd pages of photographs.:)

Alternatively take a look on Google Earth. All the photos marked with the Panoramio star will be on there.

Best ones i know of are -

(1) The viewing platform at Fulwood, its on the same rd as the alpaca farm, it has details of what you can see and how far away each feature is, it's said on a clear day you can see the Humber bridge, never managed that myself but you can easily see drax power station etc and it has extensive views across Sheffield.

If you don't know the alpaca farm its just off Ringinglow rd on the rd across from the old toll house, (the last right turn before the peak district mill stone border marker) just follow the lane and after you take the sharp bend in the rd the platform is on the right hand side about 100 metres further on.

(2) Houndkirk hill.

Follow Hathersage rd and as you see the peak district boundry marker park in the layby on the right, the path up to Houndkirk hill is about 50 metres back down Hathersage rd on the same side as you park.

It's not that steep a climb and you dont even need to walk to the top to get some great views.

(3) Follow Ringinglow rd and about a mile after the Peak district border marker there's a place to park on the right, you don't even need to get out of the car here as the view is in the direction you park through your windscreen.

Up the top of Wincobank is pretty good, can see for miles from up there

Top of Bishopscourt Road, Meersbrook, in my view for central Sheffield.

Blackamoor from Sheephill Road for a more panoramic view, including a good few (6 or 7?) Trent Power Stations on the horizon.

Top of Myrtle Road. Beautiful and interesting view over city on a sunny day.

As this is the week's hot topic....... Park Hill!!!!

Bolsover is what i call a real castle. It looks absolutely massive from the motorway. Very impressive indeed.

Check out Sutton Scarsdale hall too. It's on the hill opposite Bolsover on t'other side of the M1. It's incredible and very eerie..