Wiring issue, can it be fixed?

20160726_102748_zpssziumgzb.jpg

This wire and plug is from the pedals which connect to my sons gaming steering wheel. Can I fix it??

Yeah, that should be easily fixable.

To do it yourself you'll need a new plug (RJ11?) and a crimping tool.

But for the cost of a crimper you might just be best taking it to an electronics shop for them to re-crimp it for you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ45-RJ11-CRIMPING-TOOL-8-CONNECTOR-PLUGS-CABLE-WIRE-IDC-NETWORK-ADSL-CAT5-6-/251622540455?hash=item3a95df44a7:g:WSYAAOSwnDZT9LgW

Looks like the sort of plug you'd get down maplin's, they usually need a special crimping tool as well tho you you might have to spend abit just to give it a try.

Whats the wheel worth?

An electrical repair shop might be able to sort you out?

We've got one of those crimping tools that someone lent us but am I being really thick? How do I get the wires back in the plug?

We've got one of those crimping tools that someone lent us but am I being really thick? How do I get the wires back in the plug?

Because of the way the wires are retained and connected in the plug I think you'll need to buy a new one.. (plug that is,,it looks like an RJ11)

Edited by truman

Truman is right. You'll need a new plug and you'll need to trim the end of the cable so all the wires are the same length.

Keep the old plug, you'll need that to work out where the wires go.

That looks like it might be tricky as it appears to use pins 1,2,5 & 6.

You might need to use some spare cables to put into 3 & 4 because aligning just the outer connections without that will be insanely hard.

Also watch out when getting a new RJ11 connector, many of them are only 4 pin and you need the ones they leave off.

As others have stated that can be repaired using a new plug, looks like an RJ-11 using 4 contacts. First I'd make sure you have a pic of which colour wire is in which position.

The sleeve on the cable would need to be carefully trimmed back and then the wires cut to an even length. They'll then slide quite easily into a new plug ready for crimping.

An electrical shop could probably do this in minutes. If I can find my box of plugs I'll PM you.