To the motorcyclist on the A57 who made the obscene gesture @ 1710

You with the orange helmet - perhaps you'd like to PM me and explain your reasons for what appeared to be an unprovoked gesture? I would have happily discussed your reasons with you in the layby, but I suspect making gestures and then riding away is more your style.

Wow, someone gestured at you, did you phone the police ? And you think he'll be reading this ? Just live your life

Deliberately positioning myself in the road so as to prevent motorcyclists "filtering" down the middle of the traffic is what causes them to gesticulate at me.

Alan..you sound like a right <removed> end.

Edited by nikki-red

Wow, someone gestured at you, did you phone the police ? And you think he'll be reading this ? Just live your life

Wow, someone did something and I felt the need to respond...wait a minute, have you not just done the same thing?!? Oh yes, you have...live your life...

Wow, someone did something and I felt the need to respond...wait a minute, have you not just done the same thing?!? Oh yes, you have...live your life...

Some would say if its on a forum its there to respond to......

You obstruct other road users and you're proud of it. Well done. :loopy:

Why would you do that?

Alan..you sound like a right <removed> end.

I don't see why motorcyclists shouldn't stay in file with other traffic instead of being able to "filter" down the middle. Its dangerous, and they're often inches away from the cars either side of them.

Edited by Guest

I don't see why motorcyclists shouldn't stay in file with other traffic instead of being able to "filter" down the middle. Its dangerous, and they're often inches away from the cars either side of them.

never heard such absolute rubbish! :loopy:

Firstly, it is not dangerous filtering as long as you ride defensively and anticipate drivers pulling out on you without looking in their side mirrors.

Secondly, riders are not always inches away from the cars on either side of them.

Riding a bike allows you to progress your journey quicker than if you are driving. A lot of motorcyclists do not ride dangerously, similar to drivers of cars. Most don't drive like idiots, its just the odd few. Lets keep perspective here.

Jealousy?

I've never understood it, I always do the opposite, and I've received a few friendly waves of thanks for it :)

Jealousy and bitterness seems like the right answer. It seems to pervade his whole persona.

You sound the opposite of Alan Hartley - a warm and generous person.

Riding a bike allows you to progress your journey quicker than if you are driving.

Why can't motorcyclists stay in file with all other traffic? what gives them the right filter down the middle? just because they physically can, doesn't mean they should.

Why can't motorcyclists stay in file with all other traffic? what gives them the right filter down the middle? just because they physically can, doesn't mean they should.

You really are a sad piece of work Alan. The long and the short of it is that you're one of those emotionally damaged people who just can't bear to see someone else get something that they can't have.

You could get help.

You really are a sad piece of work Alan. The long and the short of it is that you're one of those emotionally damaged people who just can't bear to see someone else get something that they can't have.

You could get help.

I don't really go around actively obstructing motorcyclists but if I'm in two lane traffic and I notice that I'm in the way of one that is trying to make their way down the middle, I'm inclined to not move myself out of the way.

As I'm positioned correctly in the lane, not crossing or straddling any painted line, I don't view myself as being "in the way" anyway.

This tells you something about the mentality of many motorcyclists, they want and expect a lane within a lane, or to ride ON the painted white lines in the middle of the road that are there for a reason.

Edited by Guest

I don't really go around actively obstructing motorcyclists but if I'm in two lane traffic and I notice that I'm in the way of one that is trying to make their way down the middle, I'm inclined to not move myself out of the way.

As I'm positioned correctly in the lane, not crossing or straddling any painted line, I don't view myself as being "in the way" anyway.

This tells you something about the mentality of many cyclists, they want and expect a lane within a lane, or to ride ON the broken white lines that are there for a reason.

Deliberately positioning myself in the road so as to prevent motorcyclists "filtering" down the middle of the traffic is what causes them to gesticulate at me.

So, which one is it?

The law certainly permits it, which was clarified in a 2006 test case.