Sign in to follow this  

Wilsons Cycles City Road

On City Road stands Wilsons Cycle Shop where the Owner Jim Wilson used to make bicycle frames in the cellar..The shop is still there run by his son Nigel...Back in the 60's when I was 20 I called in at the shop and Jim said to me "do you want a bike" and pointed to an almost new blue and white wilson cycle standing in the shop window..I said who's is it ?..Jim said it's Stringfellows from up the road he can't keep up the weekly payments and he wants somone else to take it on....so I said "How much" "5 bob a week" he says so I said yes and got Peter Stringfellows bike.

Who would have thought that many years later he was destined to become a multi millionair...Peter and his brother geoff had just started off with the Black Cat Club at St Aidens Chuch Hall...Any ex members out there.

I used to live just up the road from there...always used them for wheel building and truing.

My ex was a cyclist for Sheffield Racing Club and went to cycle round the States in 1995 with his friend, and was sponsored by Wilsons on City Road.

I never found out what happened to him as I dumped him ........ I think he stayed out there and married someone!

Originally posted by Timbuck

On City Road stands Wilsons Cycle Shop where the Owner Jim Wilson used to make bicycle frames in the cellar..The shop is still there run by his son Nigel...Back in the 60's when I was 20 I called in at the shop and Jim said to me "do you want a bike" and pointed to an almost new blue and white wilson cycle standing in the shop window..I said who's is it ?..Jim said it's Stringfellows from up the road he can't keep up the weekly payments and he wants somone else to take it on....so I said "How much" "5 bob a week" he says so I said yes and got Peter Stringfellows bike.

Who would have thought that many years later he was destined to become a multi millionair...Peter and his brother geoff had just started off with the Black Cat Club at St Aidens Chuch Hall...Any ex members out there.

Quite like the reference to Peter Stringfellows bike.

If all the stories are true there should be one hell of a lot of Stringfellows old bikes around.

:hihi: :hihi:

It's a pity that Wilson's seems to be going down hill these days :( I ride past when i'm going home and it's hardly ever open anymore.

Originally posted by vidster

It's a pity that Wilson's seems to be going down hill these days :( I ride past when i'm going home and it's hardly ever open anymore.

I understand that the owner "Nigel Wilson" is suffering with Health problems and he has had to retire to the back of the bunch for a while till he gets back his strength.