Recomendations for dog kennels?

I normally just read this forum but feel I need to share my experience. I used Barking Mad this year and it was the first time I had left my baby with someone other than family.

always see where your dog is going heard this story a few times homeboarders pay a visit to you and pick up and drop off so you cant see where your dog is going

We chose the family that Alfie was going to stay with together with Andy and he had a great time. We got photo updates while we were away and he came back with a lovely postcard from the family. I loved the fact that he got one to one attention.

If this is on offer walk away you never know where your special friend might end up.

You could say that for any pet sitter. If I drop Alfie off at a pet sitters house how can I be 100% sure they won't put him in a cage all day? You can't but you trust that they won't because they say they won't. I trust them to do what they say just like I trust Macdonalds not to spit in my burger :)

it looks professional but in fact its possibly not the case , any credentials like insurance you should know about...... the other thing that would worry me is do they know a good 24/7 vet if the dog got poorly or do they hold a canine emergency medicine certificate. I agree with murf .

I can only speak from my experience but they were very professional from start to finish and Andy spent over an hour with us and Alfie going through his routine and all his details. They are fully insured and Alife would be taken to his usual vet by Andy if he ever needed it (touch wood he won't) or an emergency vet if urgent.

Obviously this service isn't for everyone but I am very happy with them and will use them again when I go away in future.

as i previously stated if they are a legit company they will be fully licensed by the relevant council to offer homeboarding it is actually illegal to offer homeboarding and take payment for the service if not licensed .insurance wont cover anything if a business or company do not have the relevant license if you had a meet and greet at the hosts familys own home and you saw the accomodation where you would be leaving your dog and you filled in relevant paperwork relating to your dogs stay emergency contact your own vets details consent off on lead etc then no problem so if they fit all above criteria then theres no issues ,the issues are where lots of folk companies etc offer homeboarding without the relevant license this then voids insurance and dogs are taken to hosts where the owner has never ever been theres quite a few conditions for a homeboarding license and if fully licensed and meet conditions no problem .as i said previously anyone potentially wanting to home board there dog 1st thing is to check and see there licensed if they cant provide proof of this i personally would walk away .licenses are there for a reason hopefully to protect your special friend theres some fantastic homeboarders out there and the majority run there business correctly being fully licensed and insured

These franchise companies are just out to make money!

The host families are not licensed from their local councils.

The professional pet register means nothing, it's just a fancy title. It is not a substitute for a licence. Ask any council animal welfare officer if in doubt as they will tell you the same.

If you want to book your precious dog in with a sitter with many franchise companies you have to pay around £30 for an initial consultation charge?

With proper home boarding establiments they are vetted and licensed by their local councils (animal welfare officiers) and also insured correctly. And lets not forget when visiting a licensed home boarder they ask you to visit them proir for a Free meet and greet and you will actually see exactly where your dog will be staying and with whom.

Anyone who wants a home boarder check firstly with your local council if the sitter is licensed before even wasting your time or money.

I'm sure they are out to make money but is that not the aim of any business?

I wouldn't say I wasted my money and in my opinion it was well worth the money for the peace of mind. In terms of the consultation charge I was happy with that for the time spent with me and Alfie. Also once he's booked in I can relax and everything is done for me, they do all the work so I don't have to worry as much.

I would much rather send Alfie to a family where he will be cared for one to one than send him to a house with 6 other dogs. I don't get to check the other dogs out and I don't like that risk. My friend sent her dog to a home boarder a couple of years ago where he stayed (I won't name them) with other peoples dogs and when they returned he had lost an eye!

Like I said it's not for everyone and if they were as bad as some people are trying to make out then I doubt they would have a near perfect rating on Trust Pilot and still be running after 15 years.

dont think anyone trying to make them look bad your missing the point folk asked if they had the correct boarding license as i have previously stated insurance void if no boarding license and if they have and they comply with all correct procedures of a home boarding business then they have no worries and folk new to the homeboarding business who wish to homeboard there dogs with any homeboarder just need to check the standards i have quoted and if they comply then theres not a problem but any reputable business , franchise whatever will be licensed first .

I'm sure they are out to make money but is that not the aim of any business? Yes I agree but money is not everything. Some home boarders also do it for their love of dogs otherwise they would find a much easier way of earning £15 per day. The franchise business is looking for their cut so boarding the dog is a priority where a reputable and licensed home boarder will consider the dogs suitability.

I wouldn't say I wasted my money and in my opinion it was well worth the money for the peace of mind. In terms of the consultation charge I was happy with that for the time spent with me and Alfie. Also once he's booked in I can relax and everything is done for me, they do all the work so I don't have to worry as much. Apart from attending a visit to where your dog is staying there is not anything else you need to do with a licensed home boarder so I don't see the argument here.

I would much rather send Alfie to a family where he will be cared for one to one than send him to a house with 6 other dogs. Some home boarders are licensed for 1 dog by choice. It is not up to the home boarder how many dogs they have, this is set by the animal welfare officer and he takes into account many variables. If you did not visit the host family how do you know they did not have more dogs at least the licensed home boarder is up front about this and you can be reassured all dogs have been vetted. I don't get to check the other dogs out and I don't like that risk. This is why the dogs are vetted beforehand and a reputable establishment will refuse to board your dog if it will not fit in. Not take any dog for the sake of commission. My friend sent her dog to a home boarder a couple of years ago where he stayed (I won't name them) with other peoples dogs and when they returned he had lost an eye! If this was the case then the licensed home boarder would have lost their license and most likely been sued, I would recommend anyone thinking of home boarding their dog to ring the council and ask if there has been any complaints. They will tell you. Who was the home boarder you mentioned licensed with?

Like I said it's not for everyone and if they were as bad as some people are trying to make out then I doubt they would have a near perfect rating on Trust Pilot and still be running after 15 years. Trust pilot LOL, do a google search for fake reviews. Most established home boarders work from word of mouth the best review you can have not "I sent my dog to a random stranger who lived in the top floor of an apartment block in the center of town but he was great, I think!!"

Yes I agree but money is not everything. Some home boarders also do it for their love of dogs otherwise they would find a much easier way of earning £15 per day.

Most of the hosts are retired couples that have lost their dogs or people that can't commit to a dog full time so I seriously doubt they are money driven!

The franchise business is looking for their cut so boarding the dog is a priority where a reputable and licensed home boarder will consider the dogs suitability.

That's your view and I respect that but the whole point they came to visit was to make sure Alfie was suitable and he did a trial stay just to be sure. I don't think it is fair to say things like that if you don't know how their business works?

Apart from attending a visit to where your dog is staying there is not anything else you need to do with a licensed home boarder so I don't see the argument here.

Alfie gets picked up for me which I really like because it is really convenient for me. Also I've had friends who's sitters have cancelled last minute at least I know they could find me another host if it came to it.

Some home boarders are licensed for 1 dog by choice. It is not up to the home boarder how many dogs they have, this is set by the animal welfare officer and he takes into account many variables. If you did not visit the host family how do you know they did not have more dogs at least the licensed home boarder is up front about this and you can be reassured all dogs have been vetted.

How do you know the home boarder won't take 10 dogs into his home? Does the animal welfare officer sit and watch his house? My point is anyone running a business can lie.

This is why the dogs are vetted beforehand and a reputable establishment will refuse to board your dog if it will not fit in. Not take any dog for the sake of commission.

Like I said before Alfie was vetted and had a trial to make sure he was ok.

Trust pilot LOL, do a google search for fake reviews. Most established home boarders work from word of mouth the best review you can have not "I sent my dog to a random stranger who lived in the top floor of an apartment block in the center of town but he was great, I think!!"

I didn't send my dog to a stranger I sent him to Andy who I had met and trusted, who I heard about by word of mouth by the way from a well respected dog trainer. Alfie arrived home as happy as he left so not "I think" I know for certain he was great. Plus I had pictures and videos to show me when I came back.

I don't think it's fair to make things up bad mouth someones business on an open forum saying things like "I sent my dog to a random stranger who lived in the top floor of an apartment block in the center of town" it comes across as quite bitter and they haven't said anything bad to you.

Nothing against home boarders but I like this service because it's like a real holiday for Alfie and it is very professional from my experience.

the council are not allowed to disclose anything about your business to a third party under the data protection act , you are far better asking for a list of people who have used them , check them out that way , for instance I have prominent figures in the community who you can speak to in person ( for daily dog walking and cat visits ) who I currently work for.

my personal experience of a licensed homeboarder i would always want to meet and greet any prospective new clients in my own home with there dog whether i board 1 or more you get a feel whether the dog is suitable for your surroundings have a chat over the general welfare of the dog show new clients my homeboarding license and get them to fill in relevant paperwork over there dogs future stay .no disrepect you dont know if host families are taking more than 1 dog you will never know the answer as i keep stating folks were asking if barking mad are licensed and they havent had this answered if they are fantastic there insurance will be legit if not they will be operating with no insurance or license everyone has an opinion and i think most on here are concerned over the animals welfare you wouldnt take your child to a nursery until you have seen who will be looking after them and they have all correct procedures in place for your child .just same in my book but with dogs they are a precious thing and even more precious when in your care and looking after them thats why licenses and insurances should be in place with anyone in this business

In sheffield it costs over £200 to be checked for a licence. In other cities its less than £100. The price is ridiculous. As wrong as it is to cut corners I can see why people are put off! The price should not be this high!

---------- Post added 12-08-2016 at 18:25 ----------

Lets not slate these companies. If the boarder using them has a council licence and uses companies like these (who normally take 15% because for the 15% they get advertising and insurance) and the boarder gets a good amount of business through them then good on them!!!!! Some LOVELY dog boarders use these sites.

Edited by Chazndave

yep chasndave this is a simple thread folk asking if barkingmad licensed and insured your insurance wont cover you if not licensed all folks are asking are they licensed or not and if so whats the problem not responding its not a hard to answerca simple yes or no im sure we all vould work with them to get licensed if this is way forward at end of day its about your dogs welfare nothing else

the

---------- Post added 12-08-2016 at 21:33 ----------

no price is too high to pay to be a reputable business inoften lose more than i make purely for care of dogs that has to come 1st always and im sure my customers would state that im sure many more do please find right one and please ask right questions

yep chasndave this is a simple thread folk asking if barkingmad licensed and insured your insurance wont cover you if not licensed all folks are asking are they licensed or not and if so whats the problem not responding its not a hard to answerca simple yes or no im sure we all vould work with them to get licensed if this is way forward at end of day its about your dogs welfare nothing else

the

---------- Post added 12-08-2016 at 21:33 ----------

no price is too high to pay to be a reputable business inoften lose more than i make purely for care of dogs that has to come 1st always and im sure my customers would state that im sure many more do please find right one and please ask right questions

Im licenced but I still have an opinion about prices. I think when comparing to other councils, Its very high! Sheffield always does like to rip people off though.