£1bn Chinese investment in Sheffield

Er Hello! ...wake up and smell the Xioxing rice wine!

'People's Republic Of South Yorkshire' the clue is in the name.

My favourite Indian has just closed down, along with thousands of others, but I can't move for Chinese restaurants

The take-over has begun!

---------- Post added 24-07-2016 at 18:02 ----------

Having said that - why isn't there a good Chinese restaurant, pop-up or takeaway from Hunters Bar to city centre. There are thousands of students and foodies living in that quarter.

The only Chinese anything is a take-away is on Sharrow Vale Road and its truly <removed>!

There's at least 1 dim sum restaurant (called Dimsum I believe) on London road.

Edited by nikki-red

There are plenty on London Road, Wild Rice takeaway is next door to another, Yum-yum opposite with HK Wok and Noodle inn a stone's throw away.

The question referred to the Ecclesall Road area - LR is heading in a different direction

Perhaps the rents / properties are more expensive on Ecclesall Road

I always think of them as being close together, although I suppose it depends on which end you're talking about.

---------- Post added 25-07-2016 at 14:54 ----------

Interesting article here (getting back on topic)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-china-blog-36881060

Oddly keeps referring to £200 million after starting the article saying £1billion...

I always think of them as being close together, although I suppose it depends on which end you're talking about.

---------- Post added 25-07-2016 at 14:54 ----------

Interesting article here (getting back on topic)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-china-blog-36881060

Oddly keeps referring to £200 million after starting the article saying £1billion...

The article doesn't spell out the headline terms particularly well, but it's a staged investment so the £200m is the initial tranche for the next 3 years. It will be interesting to know what, if any, milestones have to be met to release the further stages of investment. Apparently it is a 60 year commitment period.

I was a bit amused to read in the article the bit about Sheffield having poor infrastructure, "why, it doesn't even have a five star hotel".

For that matter, neither does Leeds, and Birmingham has only 1 and that's the countries 2nd city!

Manchester seems to have managed 3, perhaps it's due to having the international airport.

Presumably the Chinese are the only people who will be able to afford to stay in a 5-star hotel even if we do get one.

I've heard that the top brass in the Chinese Communist Party are all mad into Toddla T, which I think explains this massive investment.

Personally I'm happy for Chinese money to be invested here, at least the people working on the buildings will be paid a decent wage and get health and safety provision.

That secret project list in full:

1. Twin pagodas near the M1 at Tinsley

Make that "Cooling Towers", please.

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 16:55 ----------

There are plenty on London Road, Wild Rice takeaway is next door to another, Yum-yum opposite with HK Wok and Noodle inn a stone's throw away.

There are already empty restaurants on London Road, between Boston Street and St Mary's Gate (A61 Ring Road).

So perhaps they're earmarked as future Chinese places.

Top Chinese place on London Road (in Sheffield?) is Candy Town, me thinks anyways.

Chinese investments, a starting point of this thread, is an interesting thing for Sheffield. Anybody willing to invest money here needs to be welcomed - still plenty of catching up to do.

There a thread a while back about London Road having a bit of sign over it (arch type thing like other cities do), I wonder if this could be back on the cards?

Since there is loads of different nations foods on there, I wonder if instead of Chinatown/whatever, they could use the old name. 'Little Sheffield'

Stick a big arch over it with this on it, then underneath writing in all the languages of the current occupants.

china is a communist dictatorship. Are they lending us this money or actually investing it. The first thing the council should do, is check what the interest is, if its lower than student games loan then they should pay that one off and not leave it to another generation.