£1bn Chinese investment in Sheffield

having dealt with the Chinese since the 90's , i can quite categorically state nothing is what it seems .Their interetation of a deal if different if it suits them , they move the goal posts just when you are about to agree and promised funds is quite different from actual funds . I hope the council has got it written into the agreement which generation is actually going to invest

they have managed to secured £1bn of inward investment.

No, it's by no means 'secured' as yet.

Let's have some suggestions then as to how it should be spent....

Speculation! Always fun. I did actually talk about this with someone earlier and jointly we made a nice list:

Public projects (local council):

A new central library, make the old central library into a proper Graves art gallery and locate the new central library (similar to developments in Birmingham and Newcastle) nearer the Moor (I'm thinking Charter Row, possibly where the horrible old hotel is).

A new bus interchange that is actually somewhere people will want to use, possibly integrated with a new footbridge from the Station.

Public project (NHS):

Development of long term replacement for the Royal Hallamshire, or alternatively, full refurbishment. Surely it must be on the cards already.

Public/Private mix:

Development of the 'Castle' project, I don't believe it has full funding yet?

Further development of 'Riverside' (Linking into 'Castle') especially opposite of the Don.

Development of Matilda and Sylvester Street area, possibly fully private.

Better connection between Ecclesall Road and the City, Charter Row and possibly Milton Street should see investment and infrastructure around 'Waitrose-roundabout'. Possibly by redeveloping (ex?) council flats on Exeter Drive.

Replacement of Moorfoot building with a new purpose-built council office and top-quality office space. Re-instate original link between London Road and the Moor by dropping the Ring Road below-ground, create new open city-park suitable for walkers, cyclists and buses. The Moorfoot location should focus on high-rise development with housing on upper floors, not dissimilar (although prettier) from the St. Paul's development.

Private:

Finishing Kelham Island, still too many gaps/sites that lay unused. Mix of affordable and aspirational housing. Particular on sites either side of Russel Street.

Potential development around Netherthorpe Road. Not more student-flats but instead a mix of affordable and aspirational housing.

PS - nearly forgot! The demolition of Bramall Lane so we can have a proper full international cricket ground again ;)

Edited by tzijlstra

:huh:

OK, but before we all get carried away...

... what's in it for them? :suspect:

Why does anyone want to invest so much money in a foreign country that is allegedly going to the dogs, and more especially Sheffield, a city that has missed the boat on so many levels?

Even more worryingly, the council will decide where all this money is to be spent!

And some people think Brexit is going to be bad news... :roll:

1. Potential to make money.

2. Why invest? They see it as a good opportunity for the above? You would be silly to invest in something you thought was poor.

3. Sheffield and in particular the unis have fostered good relations with China and educated many thousands of students.

4. The decision of where to spend the money is to be made by the Chinese with the advice of the Council and not the Council alone.

5. Why are you so negative, when its someone elses money?

---------- Post added 22-07-2016 at 16:47 ----------

That's not what Julie Dore said on TV..... she said it was up to the council to decide where to spend it ,it's also in the papers

"“The projects funded by this investment will be determined by Sheffield city council, "

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/21/sheffield-lands-billion-pound-china-deal-to-create-hundreds-of-jobs

Truman ive also read it was joint decisions. Uoid have to look at the details but it would seem odd for a business to give Sheffield £1 billion and say go ahead spend it on what you luuke, especially if they want a return.

It also says

Council bosses did not reveal which projects are to be funded by the first tranche of investment, insisting that “sensitive negotiations” are continuing.

Which would suggest to me they do get a say in where there money was spend although the council may initially put forward various projects.

---------- Post added 22-07-2016 at 16:52 ----------

Hate to raise a word of caution, but what has China been desperate for, that Sheffield currently has?....World Snooker Championship?

Thus is a secret plot? billions in exchange for the snooker?

---------- Post added 22-07-2016 at 16:53 ----------

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d4e77252-4e6b-11e6-88c5-db83e98a590a.html#axzz4F4iEFSvK

The money, a mix of equity and bank loans, will be in a fund managed jointly by the city council.

Projects could include apartments, offices, leisure facilities and the city’s first five-star hotel.

That makes more sense.

Finally it sounds like potentially very good news. I hope the Council are smart enough to have competent people (not the Council) to make sire they dont stitch themselves up. Chinese students are a welcome and wholly positive addition to the city and am not sure I can think of any downside.

Edited by 999tigger

Whilst this is good news, I worry when I see Julie Dore involved in it. However, providing Labour have little influence on what the money is spent on, I'm happy with it.

The more Chinese students in Sheffield the better.

Let's have some suggestions then as to how it should be spent....

A sports stadium and running track!

A sports stadium and running track!

Don't joke Joker! Julie might be reading this! :hihi:

That secret project list in full:

1. Twin pagodas near the M1 at Tinsley

2. Giant 1000-ft statue of Julie Dore bestriding Rivelin Valley, with one leg at Crookes and the other at Stannington

3. Peak District concreted over and population of Sheffield to rise to 5 billion

4. Er... that's it

Plus more 'orrible student flats in the City Centre.

Er Hello! ...wake up and smell the Xioxing rice wine!

'People's Republic Of South Yorkshire' the clue is in the name.

My favourite Indian has temporarily closed for refurb of kitchen. Thousands of Indians are closing across the country, but I can't move for Chinese restaurants

The take-over has begun!

---------- Post added 24-07-2016 at 18:02 ----------

Having said that - why isn't there a good Chinese restaurant, pop-up or takeaway from Hunters Bar to city centre. There are thousands of students and foodies living in that quarter.

The only Chinese anything is a take-away is on Sharrow Vale Road and its truly <removed>!

Edited by nikki-red

It seems the chinese love Sheffield with more & more coming each year. We have the universities to thank for that. I personally welcome them with open arms. Those students seem lovely, they integrate well and never cause any problems.

Not sure what the appeal of Sheffield is but if you go to places like Castleton it is full of chinese people on day trips etc....so it might be Sheffield's location to the British countryside that they love.

And Henderson's Relish.

This is my experience too. Chinese students are no different to the British Student here. Good news on the investment, but let's hope SCC does not waste the money on the typical short sighted ideas we have seen in the past.