£1bn Chinese investment in Sheffield

Earlier this year George Osborne was seen in China courting the Chinese and their investments. On every news bulletin Kevin McCabe the Sheffield United owner and successful property developer could be seen alongside the Chancellor.

This is great news for the city and the Sheffield City Council deserve credit but I am sure Mr McCabe will have played a huge (even massive) part in securing this deal.

Hate to raise a word of caution, but what has China been desperate for, that Sheffield currently has?....World Snooker Championship?

Edited by beefface

investment is what we needed just got to use it wisely and make it grow .create jobs and so what if it comes from the Chinese ..there students are polite and ours could learn from there manners. there is good and bad around the world .and them students could soon run there own business and create work over here

Sheffield is desperate for inward investment so I think its fantastic news. This money is going to be invested somewhere so its great that for once, we've not been looked over for Leeds or Manchester.

Watched Look North earlier, there was quite a long section questioning the motives of the investors with an 'expert' from Leeds. No hint of sour grapes at all. honest..

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d4e77252-4e6b-11e6-88c5-db83e98a590a.html#axzz4F4iEFSvK

The money, a mix of equity and bank loans, will be in a fund managed jointly by the city council.

Projects could include apartments, offices, leisure facilities and the city’s first five-star hotel.

Edited by cgksheff

Sheffield is a brilliant place to live with lovely people. It's always just a bit behind the times and has not had the investment it needs to bring it into line with places like Leeds and Manchester. That makes it ripe for investment. This is really good news for Sheffield and, might I add, good news for the Chinese who have picked the best place to spend their dosh.

I'm sure they'll not regret it.

Now that is a good result for the Council. Well done!

I wouldnt trust the present bunch of incompetents to spend £1 wisely , never mind £1bn.

Guest sibon
I wouldnt trust the present bunch of incompetents to spend £1 wisely , never mind £1bn.

So very incompetent that they have managed to secured £1bn of inward investment.

Now all they need to do is to clamp down on rogue landlords and tax evading smokers:rolleyes:

Nowt to do with you, you don't live here.

Let's not count our chickens until some development actually starts with this money. Look at how the council handled Sevenstone.

Positive news allthough if something sounds too good to be true......:suspect:

I mean would you throw a billion pounds at Julie Dore??

Let's have some suggestions then as to how it should be spent....