£1bn Chinese investment in Sheffield

:)

Yep, I get all that...

... but I'm sure this money is not going to be some sort of charitable gift.

If I was investing a billion pounds in anything, then I'd definitely want a say in how it was to be spent, and I'd also be wanting something tangible in return.

It's still not clear to me what that something tangible is... :huh:

I don't see any of this as a problem really they'll want a return in cash and a say in how their money is spent. Capitalism shouldn't be complicated.

Guest makapaka

Yep, I get all that...

If I was investing a billion pounds in anything, then I'd definitely want a say in how it was to be spent, and I'd also be wanting something tangible in return.

They won't give the council the money to spend. They will spend it as they see fit to maximise the return.

The investment will then have secondary benefits for the City - improved employment /economy / amenities etc.

They won't give the council the money to spend. They will spend it as they see fit to maximise the return.

That's not what Julie Dore said on TV..... she said it was up to the council to decide where to spend it ,it's also in the papers

"“The projects funded by this investment will be determined by Sheffield city council, "

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/21/sheffield-lands-billion-pound-china-deal-to-create-hundreds-of-jobs

It seems the chinese love Sheffield with more & more coming each year. We have the universities to thank for that. I personally welcome them with open arms. Those students seem lovely, they integrate well and never cause any problems.

Not sure what the appeal of Sheffield is but if you go to places like Castleton it is full of chinese people on day trips etc....so it might be Sheffield's location to the British countryside that they love.

And Henderson's Relish.

Yep, I get all that...

What has always attracted investment? Land. The council owns large tracts of inner city (prime) land, presumably that will be sold to this group. The group builds new buildings and rents/leases those out. It has the option to keep hold of the land as well.

---------- Post added 21-07-2016 at 09:50 ----------

That's not what Julie Dore said on TV..... she said it was up to the council to decide where to spend it ,it's also in the papers

"“The projects funded by this investment will be determined by Sheffield city council, "

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/21/sheffield-lands-billion-pound-china-deal-to-create-hundreds-of-jobs

No doubt with a veto/input close in place though.

It seems the chinese love Sheffield with more & more coming each year. We have the universities to thank for that. I personally welcome them with open arms. Those students seem lovely, they integrate well and never cause any problems.

Agree. The Chinese have been part of Liverpool for years, and their presence and partnership is welcomed there with open arms.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d964702c-84a5-11e5-8095-ed1a37d1e096.html

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/200m-homes-shops-plan-set-9609013

Not sure what the appeal of Sheffield is but if you go to places like Castleton it is full of chinese people on day trips etc....so it might be Sheffield's location to the British countryside that they love.

And Henderson's Relish.

Sheffield is very simple and relaxed, it gives the chinese a pleasant break from the stressed polluted environments they live in.

They give that money just out of appreciation to have a place to go to where they can live calmly again.

:hihi:

Obviously not, providing we're not selling the family silver!

I think giving the council a free hand to fritter away a £1bn investment on their pet projects might be though! :roll:

Think that's normally the Tories job to sell off the silver at "mates rates" ☺

---------- Post added 21-07-2016 at 11:23 ----------

Now that is a good result for the Council. Well done!

Indeed, hopefully a more prominent Chinese business community like Manchester has in a few years.

Well done, SCC.

Also, well done, Sheffield Universities for attracting Chinese and other overseas students.

It's great to see some good news.

...but I'm sure this money is not going to be some sort of charitable gift.

Bravo. Amazing insight. :clap:

Who an earth said anything about a charitable gift?

investment

ɪnˈvɛs(t)m(ə)nt/

noun

noun: investment; plural noun: investments

the action or process of investing money for profit.

If I was investing a billion pounds in anything... I'd also be wanting something tangible in return.

Yes, that's called "business". It's what makes the world go round. :rolleyes:

Those students seem lovely, they integrate well and never cause any problems.

They integrate well? By what measure are you judging that- from what i can tell they keep entirely to themselves and only eat and drink in a very few chinese based/themed shops and restaurants.