£1bn Chinese investment in Sheffield

Julie Dore probably wanted to have Chinese style gulags for Sheffield.

I'd love to see whatever it was that the parties signed that led to Julie Dore announcing the billion pound investment deal to the public that had been done.

“At a time of unprecedented uncertainty and turmoil on the national political scene, we have taken the bull by the horns and led by example. We have the skills and the connections to drive economic growth in our city.” - Julie Dore -2016

Edited by lil-minx92

45 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

I'd love to see whatever it was that the parties signed that led to Julie Dore announcing the billion pound investment deal to the public that had been done.

“At a time of unprecedented uncertainty and turmoil on the national political scene, we have taken the bull by the horns and led by example. We have the skills and the connections to drive economic growth in our city.” - Julie Dore -2016

Hmmm... :huh:

... well it's obvious from that statement that Julie Dore does not appear to know one end of a bull from the other! :roll:

From 2018:

Chinese investments in UK fail to materialise

Even as Theresa May inks new deals in Beijing, English cities left waiting for cash

https://www.ft.com/content/2e03578e-072f-11e8-9650-9c0ad2d7c5b5

The “steel city”, which has lost many jobs to China as its manufacturing industry was hit by cheap competition, hoped to get investment to kick-start its economy. In 2016 it trumpeted a £1bn property deal by Sichuan Guodong Construction as the largest ever in the UK. 

Sichuan Guodong is based in Chengdu, a city in south-west China twinned with Sheffield. The daughter of its chairman was also a student in Sheffield at the time.

The construction group would invest the money over 60 years, Sheffield’s Labour council said, with the first five projects attracting £220m within three years. 

Sichuan Guodong intended to buy the city’s historic library to convert into a hotel. But it discovered the remedial work involved was more expensive than first thought. Sheffield city council said: “We are working with Sichuan Guodong on other projects across the city.” 

Blah!   Blah!   Blah!    All talk ......  as usual.       :loopy:

Personally I am delighted.    The idea of selling off our beautiful library didn't sit well with me.

Guest makapaka
29 minutes ago, kaytie said:

Personally I am delighted.    The idea of selling off our beautiful library didn't sit well with me.

Me too.

I’m not really comfortable with any Chinese investment but it’s obviously happening throughout the  city.

I do wonder what the situation now would be if the council had given away the library.

The council is still looking at trying to sell the library, with a view it is one of the best real estate assets they have.  It will likely end up in developers hands, and turned into something different.  There are numerous buyers sniffing around.

9 hours ago, bendix said:

The council is still looking at trying to sell the library, with a view it is one of the best real estate assets they have.  It will likely end up in developers hands, and turned into something different.  There are numerous buyers sniffing around.

They are trying nothing of the sort.