£1bn Chinese investment in Sheffield

8 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

What exactly is that, the hoardings promised all sorts of delights, it looks like a drab office block with a few small (empty) shop units beneath it.

There's a large chinese supermarket (relocated) in it, accommodation above I think.  And a few empty units at the moment yes.

9 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

What exactly is that, the hoardings promised all sorts of delights, it looks like a drab office block with a few small (empty) shop units beneath it.

The Chinese supermarket within is definitely worth a look, some interesting food in there. Unless you're a little bit xenophobic, like some of our posters above.

It's off according to councillor Iqbal. But it opens the door for other opportunities. 

I don't like Chinese products...food dreary, fashion stuff cheap and nasty.    Try to avoid.

On 22/07/2016 at 15:40, Jeffrey Shaw said:

No, it's by no means 'secured' as yet.

You weren't wrong. But let's not despair, not winning the £1bn opens the door for other opportunities. A councillor said so on Look North.

On 21/10/2017 at 14:25, TwoTrees said:

"If something sounds too good to be true it usually is..."

I suspect our esteemed council leaders have been taken for a ride. The latest news is pointing this way. :suspect:

http://www.atimes.com/article/another-uk-china-deal-ice-amid-secrecy-confusion/

Its been fairly obvious for a couple of years there was no deal done- despite John Mothersole stating "whats not to like about this deal"! 

How about there wasnt one John!

I wonder why they have finally admitted the 'deal' is off?

Oh, by the way, the council now claim that they never said there was as deal! It was "an opportunity". 

Here's Julie Dore quoted from The Guardian

"Julie Dore, leader of Sheffield city council, said: “This is the biggest Chinese investment deal to be made by a UK city outside of London. And perhaps more importantly, it is the first deal of its kind to be made by a UK city. This is a real partnership.

Sounds like they reviewed 7 plans put forward by the council and refused them all as uneconomic.

Makes you wonder what the plans were..

I warned about this years ago. They've done the same thing on the Wirral, Liverpool, Preston and just left building sites or abandoned shells.

On 19/06/2017 at 10:13, alchresearch said:

I'm wondering if its some sort of scam. When I told the OH about Chinese investment in Sheffield and investment in Liverpool at the moment she said the same thing happened in her town of Preston a few years ago, then stalled.

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/business/china-tycoons-eye-18m-city-project-1-6231324

I trust the words of this guy ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by alchresearch

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I warned about this years ago. They've done the same thing on the Wirral, Liverpool, Preston and just left building sites or abandoned shells.

I trust the words of this guy ^^^^^^^^^^^^

What is the scam? i.e. how are the chinese making money out of doing this?

Hmmm... :huh:

Now not being one to normally use the phrase 'told you so' but...

... I do hope people are taking the opportunity to re-read this thread from the beginning to see exactly which posters are the more gullible and which posters thought the 'deal' was all a bit too dodgy from the start. :|

On 21/07/2016 at 09:13, Olive said:

I seem to remember lots of "outrage" at SCC going on investment-attracting trips - looks like this one paid off.

Seems not in the end!

These quasi state run companies have a long history of this sort of thing, being courted, making big noises and it turning to nothing.  Having worked in Asia for a long time, i've seen this dozens of times.  They love the attention but have zero intent of investing.  Why would they, when there are much richer pickings to be made investing in places like Myanmar, Africa, Cambodia etc?