Ipad mini 4 question

Thinking of getting an Ipad mini 4. Can anyone in the know tell me if it possible to connect up an external DAC audio card to this, and if so, a specific one from Apple or will any generic one work?

Also, will the Ipad read USB external drives I have used with Windows 10 or will they not be recognized?

I know the Ipad has a LIGHTENING port or something, but only one....can I use a port expander like a USB one in windows and give myself more ports?

Planning to DJ from an Ipad, but will need to connect an external drive full of music, and preferably an external DAC although the latter is not essential.

Hello

There is actually very limited support for external devices on iPad platform. Apple wanted system to be unique and exclusive which made a lot of people to go away from Apple. I know that there is no legit USB interface support on iPad, that's why I would rather consider getting windows 10 running tablet (like Lenovo Miix 3, really good tablet). Personally I've been using iPad as controller for Ableton Live paired with launchpad MK2 (I had to pay for app that provides interface support). iPad is good for it's portability and to use as additional controller for software that is already running on Windows or actual Mac, but it lacks too much to be used as main controller or composer.

Hope that helps.

Have a great day!

Andy from eHallam Tech Solutions

Edited by eHallam

Thinking of getting an Ipad mini 4. Can anyone in the know tell me if it possible to connect up an external DAC audio card to this, and if so, a specific one from Apple or will any generic one work?

Also, will the Ipad read USB external drives I have used with Windows 10 or will they not be recognized?

I know the Ipad has a LIGHTENING port or something, but only one....can I use a port expander like a USB one in windows and give myself more ports?

Planning to DJ from an Ipad, but will need to connect an external drive full of music, and preferably an external DAC although the latter is not essential.

Have a look at the capabilities of the Traktor Kontrol series.

Also, this page is handy: https://www.algoriddim.com/hardware

The Pioneer DDJ series is very popular amongst house DJs, the WeGo3 is a small version, available for around 280£ on Amazon.

Oh, and don't listen to eHallam, although I am sure he means it well, Apple is definitely the standard for professional DJing. Hardwell, Tiesto, Afrojack, Angerfist, MoB and so on, they all use Apple to produce their music.

Edited by tzijlstra

Have a look at the capabilities of the Traktor Kontrol series.

Also, this page is handy: https://www.algoriddim.com/hardware

The Pioneer DDJ series is very popular amongst house DJs, the WeGo3 is a small version, available for around 280£ on Amazon.

Oh, and don't listen to eHallam, although I am sure he means it well, Apple is definitely the standard for professional DJing. Hardwell, Tiesto, Afrojack, Angerfist, MoB and so on, they all use Apple to produce their music.

We did not say that apple is not for DJ'ing, obviously you misinterpreted my words. The full MAC OS support with media is amazing, but iOS running on iPads and iPhones has limited support. I used Ableton Live on both Windows and MAC machines and I think MAC seemed to be more stable and fluid. I've been producing music for 7 years already, and used launchpad for almost a year so I had some experience on both platforms. Thanks