MOT fail - broken spring

My car failed it's MOT today for a broken front spring. Absolutely no surprise as I use Gleadless Road regularly. I let the garage get on with it as at least it gets me another 12 months but £120 cost.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Sheffield council accept responsibility for broken springs on our pothole filled roads, anyone had any experience of making a successful claim? thanks BD

Don't waist your time pal they will throw every obstacle they can your way.

No chance they'll re-emburse you.

I've just done a spring that was only replaced about 5 year ago, to be fair it's the very tinyest smidge thats snapped off one end.

My girlfriend's C3 has had two springs (three including the original) snap in two years (same side), the garage said they replace stacks due to potholes. Council hide behind lawyers and paperwork, with the phone turned off for good measure.

I've just got one of these iconic little beauties though ... probably the most brilliant cars ever invented!

'The Mighty Sheldon' doesn't have springs at all, the suspension being so brilliant, you hardly even notice the potholes either. This is the future of motoring! :thumbsup:

Wouldnt waste your time the council hide behind all sorts of stuff

we have 3 cars in our family,all failed MOT on broken springs this year,didnt cost me as much as yours tho.

If nobody wasted their time complaining, then the people responsible for the status of the roads wont do anything at all. If everyone who had a genuine complaint, made a claim those might think that something had to be done. I have a friend , his front suspension has failed on a very posh car, in his opinion it is down to pot holes. The main dealer quote is £2000, after four weeks of badgering, those people are now paying for it.

What i dont understand is that we all know the roads are not in a good state of repair, why dont people drive accordingly.

"I've had to have two springs replaced this year because of the roads........"

Slow down.....dont break your car !!!!

It's sometimes impossible to avoid the potholes though such is the disgusting state of some roads - even driving slowly and carefully I have had to have springs replaced on my car :rant:

we have 3 cars in our family,all failed MOT on broken springs this year,didnt cost me as much as yours tho.

On my car's recent test, the tester found that the end of a rear spring had broken off but said it would still pass as the ride height was unaffected.

My girlfriend's C3 has had two springs (three including the original) snap in two years (same side), the garage said they replace stacks due to potholes. Council hide behind lawyers and paperwork, with the phone turned off for good measure.

I've just got one of these iconic little beauties though ... probably the most brilliant cars ever invented!

'The Mighty Sheldon' doesn't have springs at all, the suspension being so brilliant, you hardly even notice the potholes either. This is the future of motoring! :thumbsup:

<Enter pedant mode> It does have springs, it's just that they're not made into a coil. <Leave pedant mode>

I had a couple of those in the early 80s and still have a soft spot for them. My heart says get another one as a second car, but my head wins. I used to drive pretty much everywhere with the front of the roof folded back and the front windows either clipped up or left to find their own level (the angle changing as the car speed changes). Even slight rain wasn't a problem until you stopped, then the roof could be swung shut until you set off again. And in reliable good weather like today, roll it right back as a full convertible.

Years ahead of its time:

Adjustable headlamps

Fresh air vents on the dashboard :D

Proper MPV (well the seats could be removed in a matter of seconds, as could the boot lid)

Anti theft device (You couldn't force the door handle as when it was locked, the handle just spun - admittedly, you could probably peel back the door with just a slight pull).

A full 4 seater- the rear seats weren't just for kids, they were for full size adults, although a bit like dining chairs, but still comfortable for long journeys.

Socket for a starting handle.

Great fun, and a very soft ride over the potholes, as you say. Although they do give the impression that you might scrape the door handles on the road, as they do roll a bit.

I'm a bit envious