Shall I move to the new Parklands developments in Manor?

I am a first time buyer wanting to move out of my parents house. I have viewed the showhomes in the new Parklands developments in the Manor and I am debating on whether I should buy one. I am looking for advice and opinions from local people who live in the area and also people who have bought the new apartments around there and also from potential buyers like me. I would be living on my own. Please help as The Manor is a very controversial topic.

Read the good, the bad and the ugly here:http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79270

At the end of this month, I will have lived at Parklands for a year. Hubby and I are still alive and well! As is our flat!

My advice to you is to do what you would do when looking to move to any area- visit the development at different times of the day. See what it's like for yourself and decide for yourself. If you're brave enough, knock on the door of a potentially future neighbour and ask him/her/them about their experiences.

One thing which may get your interest though- when we first put our reservation down on our flat back in May 2004, the prices of homes on the Parklands dev started at: £71,995. Prices today start from £95,495... this Parklands resident is not complaining!

Lib1

hi there i live on the manor just behind the school near the parklands lived here 26 years im 27 on the 8th of may its not a bad place to live where ever you go you get gangs of lads and lasses but the point is weve never had anything stolen or been broke into its wat people say about the place that gave it its bad name years ago

I have faced a similar dilemma with this area and I just cant decide. Where do the youths congregate in this area? Is there any mini bike riding around here?

Yes, There are lots of kids on motor bikes and chav hoddys. I think this area was crap 5 years ago but it's ok now just don't get a nice car.

There are some little ***** that like to through stones at your windows, I think they are jealous of the shiny new houses.

My personal advice to you would be to steer clear. I've heard, read and seen too much about the Manor and surrounding area. I can't think why anyone would choose to live there.

Avoid this area like the plague!

I have just moved off the Parklands development after 6 months of being there. I couldnt wait to get out and neither could the majority of my neighbours there either.

During my 6 months there I have seen volumes of crime you would not believe inluding my car being broken into twice and another 5 car break ins in my block alone that I am aware of. The area is currently being monitored by the police due to the high volumes of crime reported there in a short space of time. :suspect:

Fortunately I lived in a second floor apartment up out of the way of their stone throwing etc but unfortunately I could not take my car up with me!

If you have no car and don't need to go out after 4pm then you may well be ok but you have been warned.

Good Luck. :)

What's wrong with going out on the dev after 4pm? I walk home through the dev from work every evening at 6-7pm and have always felt safe...

What's wrong with going out on the dev after 4pm? I walk home through the dev from work every evening at 6-7pm and have always felt safe...

I'm glad you feel safe there and I'm sure there are plenty others there who do and aren't aware of what goes on but my apartment has windows (one of the lucky ones who still has the original glass in them) and my neighbours have mouths.

Basically its a high risk area in terms of crime, some may never fall victim and others most certainly will. It's your risk to take. :suspect:

I am glad to be out of there. :hihi:

There are 2 areas parklands, new house with young couples and nice gardens. Then there is Manor that looks like a war zone.

But the area could change the more new buildings are put in and the more nice people move in. The old less desirable residence and their families will be priced out of the area and the “tone” of the area will increase.

:suspect: Ive live on the wybourn all my life which is just down the road.

I moved into one of the parkland houses last yr,though it was geat until one morning my mum got her car robbed while she was at my front door and then becouse we called the police three days later i came home to find my house smashed up from the outside. needless to say we moved out that night!!! Ive live on a rough estate all my life but ive never been so scared as i was that day.

Its like my mum said,Its a bad area and building new houses on it aint going to change a thing.

I feel sorry for the people buying the home that dont know the area!!

I am currently buying a house on the parklands development due for completion Jan 07 , I have read all the threads , in some cases i nearly changed my mind and looked elsewhere, all i can say is that different ppl are having very different experiences. This area is not lodge moor but i wouldnt say its Beruit either.

I have visited this area early in the morning, late at night after midnight, weekends and school holidays, the worst i have ever seen is a few kids on mopeds on the park, leave them alone and they will leave you alone.

As for car crime, this does seem to be a problem but mainly for those leaving things on display, my advice is to buy a house with a garage and use it! Although a garage is not going to prevent car crime ( if they realy want to get in they will) but when there are hundreds of cars parked on the street in the area there far less likely to go to the trouble of breaking into your garage.

Its only a choice you can make for yourself, no one can say for certain you wont have a bad experience.

As for the future you can visit the sheffield city council website and see the masterplan for future developments in the manor park area, lots of new housing develpments, you may just find the price of your house increasing in a few years!

Take your pick!