Lawnmower problem

I have a big(to me!) lawnmower problem. I used to own a Bosch 37-14 Rotak rotary mower which I was very pleased with for years until the motor went, meaning a repair bill of £90+..So thinking I was doing the right thing I bought an 'identical' replacement. Big mistake! Even on the lowest cut it does not cut low enough even though the previous one was set on the medium cut and cut lower. The handle is different, meaning that the slightest reduction in pressure cuts off the power. I am very disappointed with it. Argos will not take it back as they say there is nothing wrong with it - the new model could just be different blah blah. Bosch have ignored e-mails and lawnmower repair shop can't do anything as it is a fixed blade. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? I even thought about weighing it down to see if that would make it cut lower. To add insult to injury even the 'stripes' are rubbish. I would consider buying a different make but how do you know if you like them when you can't try them out?! Any suggestions (sensible ones!) will be gratefully received! Thank you.

Might be a long shot but if you have kept the old mower, can your bloke swap the motor over if its identical?

No such luck - I chucked the old one out before I tried out the new one! - thanks for suggestion though.

Pop some smaller wheels on it, that will make it lower.

Pop some smaller wheels on it, that will make it lower.

Great idea - thanks! Will do that and let you know the outcome!

Talk to citizens advice. It sounds like its not doing the job it was intended to do. That all depends on the claims they made advertising the product though.

You should have just taken it back as faulty they don't check items. Not right, but neither is the situation you are in now, if it's not cutting grass it's not working is it.

You should have just taken it back as faulty they don't check items. Not right, but neither is the situation you are in now, if it's not cutting grass it's not working is it.

Well their response was that as it was 'working' I wasn't entitled to a refund or exchange.

Hmm!

I've just bought a second hand Bosch 34 Rotak as my Flymo had a run in with a rock when my son borrowed it, It almost shakes your bones out of your skin as the rock removed three bits of the fan blades so it's not balanced any more!!

The Rotak I bought was an old model but it was only £20 so can't grumble!!

They seem to turn up s/h for peanuts often!!

Try Gumtree or Preloved then sell yours on fleabay!! :thumbsup:

Biggsy :)

Quick update. Hubby has managed to add 3 washers to make the blade cut lower. Still not completely satisfied but it's as good as it's gonna get I think! Still not getting stripes like I did with old one but perhaps that's because new model is lighter. Thanks for all suggestions. Be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem? Also - Qualcast now been taken over by Bosch - another British company bites the dust:(

I was recently looking at Lawnmower reviews, and I remember reading one on Amazon which said that the "Bosch 37-14" Rotak rotary mower is an inferior version of the "Bosch 37 Rotak" rotary mower. Argos sell only the inferior model. So if you are spending £90 or thereabout, it may be a good idea to go for the "Bosch 37 Rotak" model. Here is the link to the review

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Rotak-37-Ergoflex-Lawnmower/dp/B00SBN0OBS/