What it says on the lease

does anyone know if it shows room for a garage on the lease do i still need permission from the freeholder

Do you mean that you want to build a garage on the land next to your leasehold house? It depends on the terms of your lease, but I wouldn't be surprised if you do still require permission from the freeholder.

Repeat, the crucial bit: It depends on the terms of your lease. Many different leases have different conditions, so it really is yours you need to check. If you aren't sure by reading it yourself, you'll need to get professional legal advice.

does anyone know if it shows room for a garage on the lease do i still need permission from the freeholder

Do you mean that you want to build a garage on the land next to your leasehold house? It depends on the terms of your lease, but I wouldn't be surprised if you do still require permission from the freeholder.

Repeat, the crucial bit: It depends on the terms of your lease. Many different leases have different conditions, so it really is yours you need to check. If you aren't sure by reading it yourself, you'll need to get professional legal advice.

Yes. Most leases demand L's consent for any new buildings or alteration of existing buildings.

rang the freeholder and found out the permission for the garage would cost £295 which we woulds be willing to pay the vendors are trying to extend the lease but the freeholders want to put the rent up to £135 anyone know if they can do this as far as i can see on the lease it state on the lease £35 for the term of the lease if they can increase the ground rent will it so increase the price when we are able to buy the freehold in 2 years so confusing

rang the freeholder and found out the permission for the garage would cost £295 which we woulds be willing to pay the vendors are trying to extend the lease but the freeholders want to put the rent up to £135 anyone know if they can do this as far as i can see on the lease it state on the lease £35 for the term of the lease if they can increase the ground rent will it so increase the price when we are able to buy the freehold in 2 years so confusing

1. Can L charge a Consent fee? Maybe not. See s.19 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927.

2. Can L increase the ground rent? No, unless:

a. the lease allows it; or

b. you take a new lease which includes an increased rent or allows it.

3. What will the freehold reversion cost in two years' time? Dunno.

Generally: yes, I know that it's confusing. You need clear advice from your own solicitor, provided that he/she is skilled in the problems of leasehold conveyancing.

or swap your solicitor to this fella /\

Yes. Most leases demand L's consent for any new buildings or alteration of existing buildings.

. Can L charge a Consent fee? Maybe not. See s.19 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1927.

sorry bit confused do you mean you need consent but they may not ba able to charge for the consent?

our solicitor has now asked the freeholder to remove the increase to the ground rent on the lease we are now waiting again for their reply

---------- Post added 26-07-2016 at 20:05 ----------

my husband rang the lease advice today about the increase to the ground rent and they advise him it could be increased it all depend on what formula the surveyor used when working out the price for the lease extension ? can this be right the lease says

term 99 years (less the last three days) from 25th june 1984

rent £35 per annum

Here's s.19(2), with my underlining:

In all leases whether made before or after the commencement of this Act containing a covenant condition or agreement against the making of improvements without a licence or consent, such covenant condition or agreement shall be deemed, notwithstanding any express provision to the contrary, to be subject to a proviso that such licence or consent is not to be unreasonably withheld; but this proviso does not preclude the right to require as a condition of such licence or consent the payment of a reasonable sum in respect of any damage to or diminution in the value of the premises or any neighbouring premises belonging to the landlord, and of any legal or other expenses properly incurred in connection with such licence or consent nor, in the case of an improvement which does not add to the letting value of the holding, does it preclude the right to require as a condition of such licence or consent, where such a requirement would be reasonable, an undertaking on the part of the tenant to reinstate the premises in the condition in which they were before the improvement was executed.

Also: if the Underlease states a fixed rent of £35, that rent is, er, fixed during its term.