House Essentials in the 40s/50s

Think he means it should be..... meyt 'n tata pie and peys. :thumbsup:

No, It is 'Mait n tater pie wi mushy pays. Believe me, I'm 65 years a Sheffielder'

I could of course ask for Meat and potatoe pie with mushy peas but that would make me a Londoner.

His translation says exactly the same as mine.

Never knew where the library was. Just read Womens Realm, Practical Gardener and whatever was hung on a nail on closet wall.:)

Women's Own, Woman, Woman's Weekly, for the ladies. Came out Thursdays. I know, I had to deliver the bleeding things with the papers.

Lilliput, and that other one with the nude centrefold, for the men, who bought it for the interesting articles.

Health and Efficiency for the horny schoolboys.

Edited by trastrick

Women's Own, Woman, Woman's Weekly, for the ladies. Came out Thursdays. I know, I had to deliver the bleeding things with the papers.

Lilliput, and that other one with the nude centrefold, for the men, who bought it for the interesting articles.

Health and Efficiency for the horny schoolboys.

The 'Radio Times' (BBC) and the 'T.V.Times' (ITV) came out on Thursday's too !

Towd lass had a posser for weshin, a mangle(ringer)for dryin, vim and a washbooad for collars & cuffs.

Astle clout thi if tha dunt geeoer messin (a scutch round the earoyle)

Towd lass had a posser for weshin, a mangle(ringer)for dryin, vim and a washbooad for collars & cuffs.

Astle clout thi if tha dunt geeoer messin (a scutch round the earoyle)

Thee an' oose army?

It was a 'posher' in ar ouse!

---------- Post added 22-07-2016 at 00:28 ----------

The 'Radio Times' (BBC) and the 'T.V.Times' (ITV) came out on Thursday's too !

Christ, that bag was heavy. In winter, couldn't get it up Erskine Avenue hill, it was too slippy.

---------- Post added 22-07-2016 at 15:58 ----------

No, It is 'Mait n tater pie wi mushy pays. Believe me, I'm 65 years a Sheffielder'

Must have been the Hillsborough side of Sheffield.

Ours went "Meight an potata pie".

Edited by trastrick

Thad think it would be easy writin Sheffield wunt tha ? burrit depends we're abarts in Sheffield da cums from, dunnit.....

Anybody said " Donkey stone" for the front step yet, and what about that horrable dark brown varnish Dad did the doors in and then used a bit of cardboard with teeth cut innit to make it look like graining...

Hi Grinder,would you believe it i was just telling my 16yr old grandson all about varnishing and using a piece of cardboerd the other day after he had varnished a pine cladded wall for me,he couldnt believe thats how we did the doors in the old days.ps,he was earning his spending money.thats the way to do it.

---------- Post added 22-07-2016 at 19:14 ----------

Thee an' oose army?

Christ, that bag was heavy. In winter, couldn't get it up Erskine Avenue hill, it was too slippy.

Must have been the Hillsborough side of Sheffield.

Ours went "Meight an potata pie".

we called it forty to one chance

Thad think it would be easy writin Sheffield wunt tha ? burrit depends we're abarts in Sheffield da cums from, dunnit.....

Anybody said " Donkey stone" for the front step yet, and what about that horrable dark brown varnish Dad did the doors in and then used a bit of cardboard with teeth cut innit to make it look like graining...

A work of art that we lads appreciated.

Then FORMICA came out and changed the world!!

---------- Post added 22-07-2016 at 19:25 ----------

Hi Grinder,would you believe it i was just telling my 16yr old grandson all about varnishing and using a piece of cardboerd the other day after he had varnished a pine cladded wall for me,he couldnt believe thats how we did the doors in the old days.ps,he was earning his spending money.thats the way to do it.

---------- Post added 22-07-2016 at 19:14 ----------

Thee an' oose army?

we called it forty to one chance

"Some" meat and potata pie LOL

What was that stuff called that they painted the walls with during the war, a sort of lime wash, was it "DISTEMPER" or is that what dogs got ?

What every it was called it was a bugger to get off when we could get paint again......:hihi:

Edited by grinder

What was that stuff called that they painted the walls with during the war, a sort of lime wash, was it "DISTEMPER" or is that what dogs got ?

What every it was called it was a bugger to get off when we could get paint again......:hihi:

Distemper was a water based paint that could be tinted to paint the living room, during the war.

After the war we got wallpaper, yea!

Whitewash was just lime mixed with "watter" to use outdoors, especially in outdoor "lavs", in cellars, and sheds. It had some anti insect properties, i think.

Hi All, Did anyone have one of these water bottles, i had one in the 1940s to 1955.

Hi All, Did anyone have one of these water bottles, i had one in the 1940s to 1955.

I use one of these for a door stop, but the stopper is missing.