House Essentials in the 40s/50s

Bin men emptying our bin into what looked like a small galvanised bath, then hoisting up on his shoulder then down to the electrically driven bin wagon, Street cleaners using horse and carts, the wheels must have been over five feet high. Happy days.

Flat irons and later electric iron plugged intat light socket.

Our first 2 houses in Heeley had no electric outlet til much later. We had a gas mantel, but then, we had nothing to plug in :)

Our second estate house had one 2 pin plug in the corner of the living room for the wireless. We had nothing else to plug in.

It's been an amazing ride from there to here!

Again not really an object but, Th'stop me and buy one' ice cream man on a bike with the big ice box on the front! Also the Frenchman who came round every year with onions on the handle bars of a push bike, complete with beret and Breton top, anyone else remember them?

Also the 'Sikh' fellas, complete with heavy facial growth and turbans, selling their wares out of suitcases and most of them were like 6' 2" and about 14 stone, I wonder what they ate ?

---------- Post added 21-07-2016 at 16:49 ----------

Metal dust bins that the dustbin men used to come up the back yard to colect , poker for the fire and cokerake to clean out the ashes from under it, Kitchin cabinet with the drop leaf shelf, picture rails and tall built in cupboards in the alcoves beside the chimminy breast. back door key on string hung round your kneck so you dint lose it, and how could anyone forget the gusunder so we didn't have to go out at night to the toilet down the yard...

Perhaps not an essential but 'Thermogene' (?) orange coloured vests for kids with chest ailments.

mo bo scooter catapult peashooter water pistol car tyre trolley

List of essentials in our house during the 50's when I was 0-8 years old (at least they seemed to be essentials as they were always present).

Cobwebs

Dead wasps/flies/spiders on window sills

Icicles on inside of window frames (seasonal)

Air rifle so dad could pick off mice in kitchen

Tripping hazard due to randomly placed rugs

Newspapers for using as 'r-swipes' (Dad always used SWFC match report in Green 'Un)

Tripe

Brawn

Dripping

Lard

Margarine

Tinned milk (Blue Butterfly:gag:)

Dad's socks

Brylcream

Dr Wernets tooth adhesive powder

Womens Realm

Practical Gardener (No bugger did the garden :huh:)

And finally ............ Herbygrass.

Sorry if I've brought back damaging memories for some of you older folk but I had to get it off my chest.:(

---------- Post added 21-07-2016 at 18:24 ----------

Just remembered,

Blunt knives

Sharp toys

and

The ubiquitous hand that slapped you in the back of the head every time you opened your mouth.

But then, mom's mait n tater pie wi mushy pays.:)

Made it all worth while really.:thumbsup:

I used to spend hours in the library - summer and winter!

Never knew where the library was. Just read Womens Realm, Practical Gardener and whatever was hung on a nail on closet wall.:)

Ah yes mad-dad.

Razor sharp tin toys ......

and also cheap toys made in Hong Kong which didn't last 2 minutes. :hihi:

Ah yes mad-dad.

Razor sharp tin toys ......

and also cheap toys made in Hong Kong which didn't last 2 minutes. :hihi:

Once you'd dismantled those tin toys and attached the sharp bit to a wooden 'lump' you could have a great game of splits, remember that? Only recommended if mom wouldn't let you out with a proper carving knife.

Just thought of another 'essential' ........ Ringworm.:sad:

'M

List of essentials in our house during the 50's when I was 0-8 years old (at least they seemed to be essentials as they were always present).

Cobwebs

Dead wasps/flies/spiders on window sills

Icicles on inside of window frames (seasonal)

Air rifle so dad could pick off mice in kitchen

Tripping hazard due to randomly placed rugs

Newspapers for using as 'r-swipes' (Dad always used SWFC match report in Green 'Un)

Tripe

Brawn

Dripping

Lard

Margarine

Tinned milk (Blue Butterfly:gag:)

Dad's socks

Brylcream

Dr Wernets tooth adhesive powder

Womens Realm

Practical Gardener (No bugger did the garden :huh:)

And finally ............ Herbygrass.

Sorry if I've brought back damaging memories for some of you older folk but I had to get it off my chest.:(

---------- Post added 21-07-2016 at 18:24 ----------

Just remembered,

Blunt knives

Sharp toys

and

The ubiquitous hand that slapped you in the back of the head every time you opened your mouth.

But then, mom's mait n tater pie wi mushy pays.:)

Made it all worth while really.:thumbsup:

'Mait n tater pie and pays' ? Were you from London's east end (Stepney, Whitechapel perhaps.) Well welcome to 'Sheffield Forum' where we 'tawk proppah' !

'm

'mait n tater pie and pays' ? Were you from london's east end (stepney, whitechapel perhaps.) well welcome to 'sheffield forum' where we 'tawk proppah' !

what????????

Where in Stepney talks like that?

Think about it , Mait for meat, Tater for potatoe and pays for peas???

Edited by mad-dad
nob head

'M

'Mait n tater pie and pays' ? Were you from London's east end (Stepney, Whitechapel perhaps.) Well welcome to 'Sheffield Forum' where we 'tawk proppah' !

what????????

PS. Were is spelled 'where'.

Think he means it should be..... meyt 'n tata pie and peys. :thumbsup: