House Essentials in the 40s/50s

Women's Own, Woman, Woman's Weekly, for the ladies. Came out Thursdays. I know, I had to deliver the bleeding things with the papers.

Lilliput, and that other one with the nude centrefold, for the men, who bought it for the interesting articles.

Health and Efficiency for the horny schoolboys.

Hi trastrick. As a long suffering paperboy and then an even longer suffering newsagent for 30 years, I'd just like to add to what you said.

Woman and Woman's Own came out Tuesday.

Woman's Realm and Woman's Weekly were Thursday.

Peoples Friend, Wednesday, and My Weekly, Friday.

Racing Pigeon was also Friday. Thought you'd all like to know that.

Some newsagents used to hold them back depending on how big the rounds were.

Reveille and Titbits were the adult magazines of the day.

No Health and Efficiency ever crossed my counter.

Hi trastrick. As a long suffering paperboy and then an even longer suffering newsagent for 30 years, I'd just like to add to what you said.

Woman and Woman's Own came out Tuesday.

Woman's Realm and Woman's Weekly were Thursday.

Peoples Friend, Wednesday, and My Weekly, Friday.

Racing Pigeon was also Friday. Thought you'd all like to know that.

Some newsagents used to hold them back depending on how big the rounds were.

Reveille and Titbits were the adult magazines of the day.

No Health and Efficiency ever crossed my counter.

I don't recognize a couple of those mags.

Are we talking about the same timeline, 1952/54?

Before that we had Punch, John Bull, London Illustrated and a few more, but I don't think they were delivered to the door. (at least not on the Arbourthorne :)

Edited by trastrick

No mate. Sorry. I'm probably talking late 50s early 60s.

I realise now I'm a bit out of the correct time period for this thread.

Theres only Woman's Realm though that wasn't about in one form or another during 40/50s

No mate. Sorry. I'm probably talking late 50s early 60s.

I realise now I'm a bit out of the correct time period for this thread.

Theres only Woman's Realm though that wasn't about in one form or another during 40/50s

I remember Women's Weekly was smaller format than the others and always featured knitted sweaters cardies.

Funny what you remember when you deliver papers, Coronation, Soviet Purges, Churchill, Derek Dooley, and one day in 1953 the headline in the Star, "Sheffield's Hottest Day Ever!" It was 83 degres.

I remember Women's Weekly was smaller format than the others and always featured knitted sweaters cardies.

Funny what you remember when you deliver papers, Coronation, Soviet Purges, Churchill, Derek Dooley, and one day in 1953 the headline in the Star, "Sheffield's Hottest Day Ever!" It was 83 degres.

I used to get the Sun and Comet delivered early to mid 50's. They came on two different days, every week.

What was that stuff called that they painted the walls with during the war, a sort of lime wash, was it "DISTEMPER" or is that what dogs got ?

What every it was called it was a bugger to get off when we could get paint again......:hihi:

Brings back memories my mother always went for Old Gold and stippled it (old bit of loofa) with green. Doors were always dark brown, must have been like living in the dark permantly

The interior of outside toilets were always Whitewashed. In earlier times an electric fire was essential in winter- no central heating.

The interior of outside toilets were always Whitewashed. In earlier times an electric fire was essential in winter- no central heating.

We didn't have electric in the house in the early 50's let alone in the lav.

Brings back memories my mother always went for Old Gold and stippled it (old bit of loofa) with green. Doors were always dark brown, must have been like living in the dark permantly

In the 50s we "flushed" those excellent old wooden paneled brown doors with cheap ...........? , which we painted mushroom, and half round beading we painted burgundy. Pulled off the knobs and put on transparent plastic handles with ball bearing catches.

Boxed in the gas and water pipes in the kitchen too. Bought one of Grinder's kitchen cabinets wi' a drop leaf shelf, and wa la!

It were all t'rage!

Hard boarded doors were all the rage back in the mid 50s trastrick, along with the tiled fireplaces and if you were really posh, a TV and radiogram...

Edited by grinder

Hard boarded doors were all the rage back in the mid 50s trastrick, along with the tiled fireplaces and if you were really posh, a TV and radiogram...

A couple of brass (plated) plaques on either side of the fireplace "set it off". :)

What was that ship on the plaques? Same as the one on the ha'penny?

Our neighbour had a set of those flying bird plaques that were quite the thing back then but my Mom wouldn't have 'em in our house, she said birds were unlucky, just like new shoes on the table ???