Homeless man in waitrose underpass

He told me that he is an ex serviceman. He hinted at some special unit as he showed me a photo of him and his unit with no insignia and said he's has his fingerprints erased.

He's very well spoken, usually, and more often than not has his head buried in a book.

Another one fallen through the massive cracks.

Surly this can't be happening. I mean if he was ex serviceman, this is awful.

After reading comments above regarding him losing his wife and home etc... it's sickening and should not be happening today - I thought we were living in an advanced world.

Well done to people who are giving him time of day. Surely an organisation can help him... this should be making the news to get him real help.

The Veterans Charity should be able to help or signpost to partner charities who assist anyone who has served in the armed forces.

Surly this can't be happening. I mean if he was ex serviceman, this is awful.

After reading comments above regarding him losing his wife and home etc... it's sickening and should not be happening today - I thought we were living in an advanced world.

Well done to people who are giving him time of day. Surely an organisation can help him... this should be making the news to get him real help.

I would think he might have other problems, maybe PTSD? which affects people in different ways. Unfortunately mental health support is singularly lacking at the moment thanks to all the cuts, and yet it is a growing problem in our society.

The gullibility of the good people of this city never ceases to amaze me ....

Was just thinking the same ....

Lol you,took the words right out my mouth lol

Gullible how?

Is he a second-hand book dealer on the make?

Or do you not believe he is an ex-serviceman?

What difference does it make? He is someone deserving of our help.

Lol you,took the words right out my mouth lol

Was just thinking the same ....

Gullible? How very naive of you to say so. Until you do a full investigation of the person in question, no one can prove whether he is or he isn't, however the question that should be asked is whether your line of thinking is progressive or not. I think not.

The bickering and insults can cease now. You know the drill if you persist I will suspend your accounts.

Why?

What make you think people are 'gullible' for doing someone a good turn?

I think you need to justify your statement.

Do you know the man?

Do you know he isn't homeless?

Do you know he isn't a veteran?

mental health effects people in so many different ways I was quite shocked to learn that not all homeless people wish to live in a what we know as a home, as that is where the bad things happened or abuse took place There is quite a bit of help out there if you look in the right places but we need to respect the wishes of some of these unfortunate souls who just could not adapt to living in a conventional home and could not cope with the day to day business of keeping that home going.

This is the same guy who used to sell the Big Issue outside Tesco on Ecclesall Road a few years ago? He must have been homeless for a long time now. Very friendly bloke and one of the very few who I give change to if I see.