Homeless man in waitrose underpass

Hello all.

If anyone happens to be taking that route regularly would you be able to drop off a book or two to the homeless guy who lives down there.

He'd love any of the recent jack reacher books if anyone has one to donate.

Hi poppet. I don't have any books by that author, but I do use that underpass on a once weekly basis....Do you know if he would like some books by other authors. I've some Ian Rankin books that I've read that I'd be happy to donate.

Lovely thanks. I'll admit this conversation took place at about 3am so I'm a bit sketchy on the details but I'm sure he'd appreciate any. It was the only thing he asked for when i said could I bring him anything.

Thanks Poppet. I'm heading that way this Monday - Feel a bit silly asking but because several homeless people use that underpass, the guy that we're talking about does he have a beard is he young, old? Just so I know that I'm donating to the correct person. Thanks.

He's the older chap with a beard. If you're walking through from waitrose he lives in the tunnel on the right

Not books but would it not be worth telling him about the Salvation Army or another homeless project to get him off the streets?

He's the older chap with a beard. If you're walking through from waitrose he lives in the tunnel on the right

Thanks Poppet. Will take him a selection of books this Monday.

Good for you. Doing what you can and treating him like a fellow Human Being.

I saw 3 homeless people in the space of 500yards sitting on the pavement of London Road this afternoon.

Terrible state of affairs.

Edited by Anna B

He said his wife had died and he lost the house

If he's over 55 then the council have studio flats available under First Come First Served, that normally means there is no demand for them. I hope he's had his housing need assessed. He could get advice from Shelter, that's what they are there for.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_services_directory/sheffield

He told me that he is an ex serviceman. He hinted at some special unit as he showed me a photo of him and his unit with no insignia and said he's has his fingerprints erased.

He's very well spoken, usually, and more often than not has his head buried in a book.

Another one fallen through the massive cracks.

I am away at the moment but I have loads of Reacher novels he is welcome to will sort some out when I am back