Lowcostholidays gone bust

Not a lot to bemoan there then, is there. It wasn't an ATOL registered company, people should know better by now.

People will learn from it. I did in 2004 when I used one of these companies and they fleeced us.

Not a lot to bemoan there then, is there. It wasn't an ATOL registered company, people should know better by now. But your point does not address appropriately why it would go bust now, are you saying they operated on a shoestring and thus the fall in the GBP did them in? Because that is what I said and I link that directly to the referendum and the outcome of it.

The reasons were in the admins report. It listed 3 things, the brexit last being the last nail in the coffin. However, you will look for every company collapse and use the last nail in the coffin as being the first and major contributor because it suits you.

This isn't the first to fall, there will be many more.

And you'll love it, like the rest of them on here. 'See you caused this' type comments.

If this was a British company ran by British people, and paying taxes here, one might give a ****.

It's a shame for the people who have lost their money,. hopefully these days people have bought them on VISA (which is a bit of a joke in itself - we need to get into debt with these companies to have any protection:rolleyes:)

---------- Post added 16-07-2016 at 12:24 ----------

2013 hmmm was this before brexit Tim?

Guardian is generally accepted as a non-rag - please read

In 2013, the Civil Aviation Authority had warned holidaymakers to avoid booking with Lowcostholidays after the company relocated to Spain, which meant that its holidays were no longer protected under the Atol scheme run by the CAA. This ensures that customers can return home and get their money back if a company goes bust. Lowcostholidays had dismissed these warnings, stating that holidaymakers had protection under a Spanish scheme.

In fact one the the comments at the bottom pretty much sums it up:

Low-cost holidays = low-margin holidays = buying from a supplier who is financially weak and liable to go bust.

It's a shame for the people who have lost their money,. hopefully these days people have bought them on VISA (which is a bit of a joke in itself - we need to get into debt with these companies to have any protection:rolleyes:)

as i understand things, you are protected by visa if you use a visa debit card as well, which means you have protection if you have no debt with them.

Yes Ash, I will take great pleasure in seeing the economy in which I operate crash and burn all around me. That is what drives me in life you see, telling people, warning people and than taking delight in their misery when they don't heed my warning. :roll:

Yes Ash, I will take great pleasure in seeing the economy in which I operate crash and burn all around me. That is what drives me in life you see, telling people, warning people and than taking delight in their misery when they don't heed my warning. :roll:

You really are full of it.

Let's see your warnings then from 2013 for this particularly dodgy company?

A loss-making company from 2013, operating outside of British rules (don't forget the EU is wonderful, equal, and has the same protections as here :rolleyes:), no doubt moved there to avoid paying any taxes and avoid expensive rules, has fleeced 140,000 people, and you want to blame the people who want out of this whole thing?

Sad really. Conned 140,000 out of money, and conned 16 million people into thinking 'we're all in it together', 'protected and safe in the EU'. Cobblers.

You really are full of it.

Let's see your warnings then from 2013 for this particularly dodgy company?

A loss-making company from 2013, operating outside of British rules (don't forget the EU is wonderful, equal, and has the same protections as here :rolleyes:), no doubt moved there to avoid paying any taxes and avoid expensive rules, has fleeced 140,000 people, and you want to blame the people who want out of this whole thing?

Sad really. Conned 140,000 out of money, and conned 16 million people into thinking 'we're all in it together', 'protected and safe in the EU'. Cobblers.

Gosh, one wonders what this :roll: smileyface means...

Haha!

Blame Brexit for a dodgy company going under. Brits are still pouring into Europe in their millions this summer and spending lots of dosh.

Get a life! Sad losers.:hihi:

Many companies operate at a loss for years without going out of business.

EU regulations provide a minimum baseline of consumer protection across the EU. If nation states wish to go further than that then they are quite free too.

At present, there is no evidence that anybody has been conned at all. A company went out of business and the customers of that business may or may not lose some or all of the money they have paid. That is sad, but it happens all the time.

Customers have the option of seeked redress from their card providers and/or whatever protection scheme this company was registered with.

Gosh, one wonders what this :roll: smileyface means...

Carry on. You lot who only a couple of years ago were targeting dodgy companies for tax scams and demanding they pay up or act appropriately (rightly so) move on and now use these for political merit in your 'remain' brigade, when they go bust.

Up to 140,120 UKers lose out and still you try and stick up for them. Talk about switching sides.

Anyway, I'm off to work.

---------- Post added 16-07-2016 at 13:11 ----------

Many companies operate at a loss for years without going out of business.

Of course. These ones that use very thin margins are likely to be the first to go though are they not?

EU regulations provide a minimum baseline of consumer protection across the EU. If nation states wish to go further than that then they are quite free too.

Let's hope that a lesson is learned from this and people use UK Atol protected companies then. However, the problem with this is how many other Lowcostholidays are there? Aren't they likely to fall next if people use this info?

Could be more then, all will probably get blamed on brexit too.

Carry on. You lot who only a couple of years ago were targeting dodgy companies for tax scams and demanding they pay up or act appropriately (rightly so) move on and now use these for political merit in your 'remain' brigade, when they go bust.

Up to 140,120 UKers lose out and still you try and stick up for them. Talk about switching sides.

Anyway, I'm off to work.

At least you seem to know what the smiley meant. Unfortunately I haven't got a clue what you mean with 'you lot', are you dumping me into a handy category again? Who am I sticking up for? What sides am I switching?

Have a good day at work Ash.

What?

a) Who would book anything that doesn't have ATOL on the logo

b) Why did moving from the UK (3 years before brexit), have anything to do with it stopping being covered by ATOL? Weren't UK companies in the EU/bound by the EU in 2013?

c) It's very late now, so I'll read this again tomorrow. This part of the report seems very odd.

d) Sounds like a dodgy company to me, quite like the one that did me and my family a few years ago out of money......................................

In response to a) - Lowcostholidays were UK based and ABTA/ATOL covered until Nov 2013. I booked plenty of holidays with them up to that time and I continued to book holidays with them after that, not knowing that they had moved to Spain. It was only yesterday when their demise was announced that I checked the small print in my documentation (still saved on my computer) and found out about their move to Spain and the dropping of the ABTA/ATOL protection.

In response to d) - I used them many times and never had a problem. Indeed, the ease in which I was able to book and pay for holidays online and the fact that the airlines and hotels were all expecting us left me far removed from thinking of them as a dodgy company. Seems the world events of the last couple of years finally caught up with what I have read were very tight profit margins, hastening their demise.

The company is/was Polish, I think.

So maybe its customers have rights against it under Polish or Spanish law.