Lowcostholidays gone bust

Unfortunately I hadn't. I hope I am protected as losing £650 would be so galling when you save so hard to go on holidays.

Check with your bank in the morning.

Some banks do 24/7 phone support so you might even be able to call tonight.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

From the link:

"Wherever you use Visa debit, you are fully protected. If, for example, you're unfortunate enough to book a holiday with an airline or travel agent that becomes insolvent, you'll generally get your money back."

yep i agree, it just funding a replacement, until you get the refund

im sure i saw it on the bbc news site ash

ah the bbc page! thanks for posting Blackbeard and ric.

The impartial company who haven't followed the Sun/Mirror/Rag type tactics for viewing figures at all, even though most of us pay to keep it running :)

-

Headline - 'Lowcost Holidays demise blamed on Brexit vote'

Further down - Smith & Williamson [administratiors] said intense competition had caused the collapse but also the increased terror threat and the uncertainty before and after the recent referendum.

Intense competition in the EU? Surely not!

Increased terror threat in the EU? I don't believe it!

Ah, we can all relax, it was the brexit vote that caused all this misery. It was in bold and larger type-face after all :thumbsup:

:rolleyes:

ah the bbc page! thanks for posting Blackbeard and ric.

The impartial company who haven't followed the Sun/Mirror/Rag type tactics for viewing figures at all, even though most of us pay to keep it running :)

-

Further down - Smith & Williamson [administratiors] said intense competition had caused the collapse but also the increased terror threat and the uncertainty before and after the recent referendum.

Ah, we can all relax, it was the brexit vote that caused all this misery. It was in bold and larger type-face after all :thumbsup:

If you don't like the BBC try the Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3692440/Lowcostholidays-travel-agency-goes-bust-leaving-summer-holidays-110-000-Britons-risk.html

I have 3 holidays booked, which I was going to book through them - luckily I got a better deal though on the beach and travel republic...

Blimey the Mail opened on my computer, that's unusual :hihi:

Their headline (which doesn't mention brexit)

'137,000 travellers are left in the lurch after Lowcostholidays budget package firm goes bust

LowCostHolidays, run by business tycoon Paul Evans, ceases trading

Spain-based firm currently has 27,000 customers overseas on holidays

110,000 booked trips and were hoping to go abroad in coming weeks

What's interesting in this one is the second line here in bold.

Later it says this below, which the ATOL bit looked odd to me? :confused:

the rest of the sentence seems to contradict the headline slightly when it says...

When it moved from the UK in 2013 it stopped being covered by an industry safety-net run by travel body ATOL, which protects travellers if the firm they booked with has gone bust.

What?

a) Who would book anything that doesn't have ATOL on the logo

b) Why did moving from the UK (3 years before brexit), have anything to do with it stopping being covered by ATOL? Weren't UK companies in the EU/bound by the EU in 2013?

c) It's very late now, so I'll read this again tomorrow. This part of the report seems very odd.

d) Sounds like a dodgy company to me, quite like the one that did me and my family a few years ago out of money.

Behave ! It's obviously a conspiracy when the BBC report on what others have said ! :hihi:

Don't you start too! :hihi:

I don't mind paying for the BBC because I like the BBC4 channel, and some stuff on the main channels. It doesn't mean I'm not curious to their impartiality status. If you think I'm a conspiracy theorist, then tell me why they put 'empathy' background music on Panorama when talking to people? :hihi:

Edited by *_ash_*
*b) is meant to be slightly sarcastic, but it didn't seem to read that way when I read it back, so I'm telling you :)

a) Who would book anything that doesn't have ATOL on the logo

b) Why did moving from the UK (3 years before brexit), have anything to do with it stopping being covered by ATOL? Weren't UK companies in the EU/bound by the EU in 2013?

The ATOL scheme is run by the CAA and applies to UK resident companies only.

Other jusrisdictions will, probably, have similar schemes and it is to be hoped that this firm will have been registered with the Spanish equivalent.

---------- Post added 16-07-2016 at 11:04 ----------

It probably was brexit which caused it's demise. It seems to have been struggling for a while and the country making a decision to collapse the value of sterling probably left it in an untenable position. A last straw/camels back situation.

I imagine that this wont be the last company which is pushed over the edge by this, presumably the brexiters will think that the 120 jobs lost overnight at heathrow are a price worth paying for our new "freedom".

It probably was brexit which caused it's demise.

Well I prefer the smaller print for accuracy than the headlines with rags and even BBC these days.

Smith & Williamson [administratiors] said intense competition had caused the collapse but also the increased terror threat and the uncertainty before and after the recent referendum.

I imagine that this wont be the last company which is pushed over the edge by this, presumably the brexiters will think that the 120 jobs lost overnight at heathrow are a price worth paying for our new "freedom".

Why would people think that?

I don't go on holidays but even I would look for Atol protected.

Why would a company that does most of its business in the UK, but is HQed in the Eurozone go bust when the pound crashes post-referendum? hmmm... One wonders.

Why would a company that does most of its business in the UK, but is HQed in the Eurozone go bust when the pound crashes post-referendum? hmmm... One wonders.

... be based in Mallorca? Tax reasons perhaps?

Probably because it was operating on a shoestring. Based in Spain, most of the workforce in Poland and taking cash off UKers with seemingly no protection?

Sounds like the foundations of a great company :rolleyes:

... be based in Mallorca? Tax reasons perhaps?

Probably because it was operating on a shoestring. Based in Spain, most of the workforce in Poland and taking cash off UKers with seemingly no protection?

Sounds like the foundations of a great company :rolleyes:

Not a lot to bemoan there then, is there. It wasn't an ATOL registered company, people should know better by now. But your point does not address appropriately why it would go bust now, are you saying they operated on a shoestring and thus the fall in the GBP did them in? Because that is what I said and I link that directly to the referendum and the outcome of it.

This isn't the first to fall, there will be many more.