Military coup in Turkey.

Well if they now bring back the Death Penalty they've blown their chance of ever joining the EU so that particular scare story has gone .

Then again Erdogan was never really committed to joining the EU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36832071

Even before all this, I thought the very notion of Turkey joining the EU was laughably out of the question... the remain camp said this was scaremongering by Brexiters, yet saying "if they now bring back the Death Penalty they've blown their chance of ever joining the EU..." implies that it was actually on the cards.

Hmmm.

Some amazing CCTV footage from Turkey about what was happening during the failed coup shown on Turkish TV tonight.Looks like firing from the rebels helicopter that went up,shells landing around the parliament possibly and the TV station takeover with the interraction between staff and soldiers as they shut it down.

Amazing as in strange. Shots fired outside of the buildings, not at that them, no one there, shots cease, people arrive and fire in to the sky at a helicopter with handguns and assault rifles. :roll:

I'm told they were 50mm cannon and they have a pretty good accuracy.

As for the soldiers, they were up for nothing, and were obviously very 'unwilling participants'. The treatment of the young soldiers I have seen footage of is heart-breaking. Stripped naked, bruised and beaten, piled up in gymnasia, handcuffed naked on buses, whipped in public, beheaded!?!? These are kids who will have had no say whatsoever. To allow them to be treated in this manner is an international disgrace.

Don't worry, Cyclone's done a risk assessment, and it's all OK.

Not targeted at tourists though. It wouldnt stop me going as long as it was ok by the FCO.

---------- Post added 19-07-2016 at 18:39 ----------

Even before all this, I thought the very notion of Turkey joining the EU was laughably out of the question... the remain camp said this was scaremongering by Brexiters, yet saying "if they now bring back the Death Penalty they've blown their chance of ever joining the EU..." implies that it was actually on the cards.

Hmmm.

Not really. If youd bothered to read the argum,ents all they had done was open talks, but in 30 years managed to settle something like 3 issues out of 35, so there was no chance. It would have to overcome issues like Human Rights as well as settling/ withdrawing from Cyprus.

All that's happened is he has given a zillion more reasons as to why with him in power , then negotiations cnat really go anywhere.

Turkey is still an important ally and Nato member. They can still open the floodgates for refugees from the Syria and Iraq wars, which the West has had a big hand in contributing to. Dismiss them all you like but its in our interests that they remain a democracy and they dont end up siding with the Russians.