Youth language

Don't even go there - as others have said, you'll be sussed straight away and they'll just take the ****.

They'll have far more respect for you if you talk normally but have something interesting to say that they can relate to.

dont even try to talk like them!! it is so embarrasin wen you hear adults trying to talk like teenagers!! you will get so much more respect if you just talk as you normally would! even in our school any adult who came out with innit or chill n would just get laughed at!

even in our school any adult who came out with innit or chill n would just get laughed at!

Does the little lady with the spiky hair still come? (Talks about religion) She came three times within my time at school, telling us the same old stuff... :loopy: She tried to be all cool but didn't get anywhere...

nah. she came a few times i think when we were in like y7 or 8 or summat, was quite scary!! probably around the same time you lot saw her i dunno..

we havent had anyone speaking in an assembly though since they started being in the morning and about a quarter of our year turns up which is probably a good thing!!

In all seriousness - speak to them as if they were adults - you will get FAR more respect and notice taken than if you try and get 'down with the kids'! Oh and on no account should you wear ANY sort of backwards headgear!

Why do I always hear the teens of this city say things like burger, but they pronounce it like it's spelt burgor?!

but they pronounce it like it's spelt burgor?!

Thats because half of them can't speak properly. It also gets me when you hear teens using "Right" as an intensifier - "Its right shocking" but pronouncing it as "Reight".... grr!

Originally posted by caprice

As a teen myself, I cringe when adults use teen language. It just sounds so ridiculous. Don't waste you're time, unless you want to be the laughing stock.

Absolutely. Just don't bother, SERIOUSLY they'll be sniggering on the back, middle and front rows! Adults trying to 'get in wiv da kids'. Can't think of a better way of alienating them.

As we all know, the word "the" is pretty much redundant in spoken English anywhere north of Birmingham, up as far as the Scottish Borders (as in "shut t'door" and "turn t'big light on").

Nowhere is this more pronounced than in Sheffield. It's even more noticeable when you come back after living away for a number of years. All my family in Sheffield do it , but I'd forgotten just how weird it can sound, especially in a sentence containing more than one example of the word "the".

My teenage daughter (born in Australia) has trouble understanding the Sheffield family members at the best of times, but she was particularly confused when they asked if she'd been to see "t'Lord Ot t'Rings".

That led us to try and think of other examples of film titles containing two or more instances of the word "the".

For example, would a Sheffield spaghetti Western be titled "t'Good, t'Bad An' t'Ugly".

And what about Matt Johnson's band The The? In Sheffield would their name be completely silent, or is it pronounced as "t'The"? That's a tricky one.

My daughter was also fascinated by the way people add "me" to the end of a sentence. As in "I loved t'Lord Ot t'Rings, me".

Finally, before anyone takes offence or finds this post patronising, I must say that (for the most part) I still love the Sheffield dialect, for all its idiosyncrasies .

Originally posted by tiffy

'chill' and 'sound' for starters.

Maybe you should 'rap' and have some willing grown ups standing behind you doing the human beat box thing then everything you say will be heard.

Who the f**k says sound anymore? If any guy over 30 started crap beat-boxin i dunno bout anyone else but I'd die laughin!

Nathe

im 14

Dingle, Munter they're in

I hear 'sound' used quite a bit by the younger generation actually.

The beat box reference was simply humour - glad it worked!!