Tampons ~ are they safe?

Thanks for this very informative thread Ann*...i do use them, and cant really imagine using anything else, but I'm certainly going to do a bit of research on TSS. :thumbsup:

y r ladz in here?

I was engaged to a girl in 1980 who died of toxic shock from a tampon. An almost microscopic piece of cotton caused it aparrantly, i hope the quality of these things have improved since then.

I think this is one of the nicest thread on the SF to date. :)

Shocked at how much the blokes know more than I do, on these matters... and also shocked to see such a subject discussed so openly ! ;)

I'm a little bit embarrassed actually. I suppose it's all good.

I'm curious as to how a 'mooncup' works, or what a 'sea pearl' looks like. They sound like things you find from another planet ! lol....

Thanks for this very informative thread Ann*...i do use them, and cant really imagine using anything else, but I'm certainly going to do a bit of research on TSS. :thumbsup:

y r ladz in here?

I can't take all the credit for this thread. Owdlad started a thread with a hoax email about tampons, but it was closed. I believed that there was plenty of scope for discussion, because there are concerns about the safety of tampons.

I also thought that it was something that could be discussed by both genders, and it seems I was right. It's nice to see that not all men are embarrassed by "lady" subjects.

Hopefully, all the information in this thread be useful to anyone who hasn't used tampons but is thinking about using them in the future. I should say that TSS is rare and, if you are careful about changing them regularly, tampons are usually ok.

I'm interested in Mooncup. I haven't read everything in this thread, so I apologise if the info is already there, but is it suitable for extremely heavy periods, e.g. flooding caused by fibroids?

Its great that both genders can take part in this, because From the first day of PMS, when our wives and girlfriends get "emotional", to the last day of the cycle, when so-called "Normality" returns, we poor males have to go through this too. We care enough about our loved ones to want to try to understand this, and the more we men know, the better, I`m sure it is for our partners.

I`m sure that I`m going to get slated for my PMS reference, I didnt put it in the way I intended, but thanks for allowing the men to have their say here.

Im not bothered about the TSS particularly as know so many people who use tampons and they all seem fine. I don't use them because they hurt! Would like to be able to use them because that time of the month is the only time i ever want to do exercise, I want to swim and am unable to.

I agree with Jaberwocky that men should try to understand the process, but I guess the experiance of loosing a partner because of a tampon would change attitudes toward women's periods.

Well I have to admit that the death of my partner is partly responsible for me trying to understand it, but along with that I have had several girlfriends who went through bad times at That time of the month for various reasons, and its horrible to see women have to go through this, when its possible-or should be possible to make it easier for them. The only girlfriend I had who was relatively free of the various problems was a body builder, and she had so little fat on her body that her periods stopped altogether. Ok, she was free of periods but VERY unhealthy in other ways, it would seem that women cant win, can they?

Is the menopause the only permanant escape? I hope not.

One question...Does a hysterectomy Stop periods and the associated problems that come with them? Please pardon my ignorance in this, but I`m sure I heared somewhere that once upon a time they "Cured" PMS and suchlike with a hystorectomy...Barbaric if you ask me.

Yes Jabberwocky, a full hysterectomy does stop periods, because a period occurs because the lining of the womb fills with blood ready to accept a fertilised egg, and then once a month (or however many days it may be ~ every woman can be different) that lining comes away, which is known as a period.

When a woman has a hysterectomy, the womb is taken away, so there is no lining etc.

Normally, a hysterectomy is only performed due to medical problems. I've found out recently that fibroids isn't a reason for a hysterectomy anymore, because there is other treatment, such as embolisation.

You seem to be a wonderful man, Jabberwocky. Thank you for trying to understand what many of us women go through during "the curse".

probably safe if you dont eat too many.

and try to keep away from any that have been discarded more than 2 weeks ago.

freezing is ok - but don't re-heat.

Whats a tampon & Cherie Blair got in common?

They're both stuck-up ****s :hihi:

I've just seen an advert on the TV for the "Keeper", which is available from http://www.femin.co.uk/. It seems to be something similar to the mooncup.

Unfortunately, I can't get on to the site because the server is too busy ~ probably due to the fact that the advert appeared in the past few minutes.