Tench and carp..

Been to Alderfen this morning for an early session got there at first light and packed up at 11.30. Had 12 Tench biggest just over 5 pounds 3 beam that just fitted in the landing net and 1 carp at 2 pounds. A good mornings fishing. What I would like to know, is there anywhere else in Sheffield and surrounding area where carp aren't the dominant species

it's certainly getting hard to find venues for specifically targeting tench in and around Sheffield, without the attentions of carp.

the one's I know are:

Darfield Pit Pond is good for tench

KJS westpines used to be full of tench & crucians

Brampton canal running next to the Dearne Valley Parkway from Cortonwood has lots of tench, as does the Worsborough canal

Also:

Lewden springs between Hoyland & Worsborough has tench, but they can be hard to locate

Nethermill at Penistone used to have loads of tench, now it's hard to get past the carp & tiny F1's

Kiveton Waters used to have loads of tench, especially the lake at the top, but now it's very rare the tench show (for me at least) - I often hook them, but seem to loose virtually every one I hook - and when you do get one it's obvious why - the vast majority have shredded mouths, so I'm hooking them, but because their lips are already ragged, the hook can easily pull out...

I'm not saying it's directly related (on a public forum), but most anglers fishing on the top lake use very heavy method gear... not what I'd call a traditional tench approach!

For years now I've been searching for a traditional tench water, whether that's a farm pond or an estate lake, but to no avail, so I'd be very interested

if anyone knows anywhere worth a try.

Incidently, well done on your session at Alderfen, this is one venue I really love, if only it were 10 or 15 miles closer to Chapeltown

Just out of interest what method, bait & peg did you get them on?

(apologies, there's clearly a bit of a tench bias in my reply, but all the mentioned venues are also good mixed species venues. Lewden & Darfield are both full of ide in the 3-4lb class, and some big bream too if that's your thing)

Edited by dars35

fished the far corner peg as you drive in. This is an average catch I some times do a lot better than this. last month I did a 9 hrs session had 18 tench best 6 pound 8 oz plus two nuisance carp at 6 and 4 pounds. Bait as always homemade paste

is that the one with the small lily pads tight across at the island?

somewhere in the region of 19 or 20?

last time I went that's the peg I was after but there must have been 30 Canadian geese in there & didn't fancy spooking them all into the lake!

do you fish in the margins with your paste?

I've fished langold lake in the past not fished for 3 years now but I had some cracking tench and big bream out I fished down the margins .don't know what is is like now but worth a drive out . I fished the far bank opposite the old bandstand. Trouble is its a decent walk from the car park tight lines guys

Edited by bossdogg

No as you drive in its the second parking area first peg you come to. I only fish 8m out.The secret is to feed heavy and I mean heavy today I cupped in 3 kilos of red krill 2 cups fulls after every fish. The way I fish it is to have a shot 6 inches from the hook this shot must be resting on the bottom, the fish picks up the bait and the shot the float becomes overloaded the float sinks lift the pole and yer in. And get ready cos they don't half fight

I'm with you now pkingy, my problem here is I've always fed light & fished 4 & 6mm pellet, last couple of visits it's been hard getting past the rudd

cheers for the info mate, might see you on the bank there one day

I had the pleasure of meeting PKingy at Alderfen today. I guessed it was him as he was fishing paste in his usual peg. I fished further up the same bank and plenty of skimmers and rudd on corn and 6mm expander but no sign of a tench. He packed up around mid-day after an early start and was kind enough to give me his remaining paste. I proceeded to fish it on a new rig and managed a couple of tincas but nothing like the 5lb fish PKingy had earlier.

I'd fed two margin swims during the day and carp were stirring the bottom up so on went a big lump of paste. The carp loved it! I had around a dozen including a couple of near doubles.

A big thank you PKingy!

Glad it worked for you. It can be devastating on its day. I think its because its so soft its easy to slurp up

It certainly turned an average day into a good one. All i've got to do now is work out what's in it!

Its no secret ground up carp pellets [do mine in an old coffee grinder bought at a carboot for a fiver] eggs crushed hemp halibut concentrate and water

Higham Farm between Clay Cross and Alfreton has some superb tench - last time I went I had a six pounder out whilst fishing one foot from the bank.

The owner is a bit of a miserable ****** but my technique is to doff my cap, tell him that his is the best fishery in the universe, there is nowhere that fishes like this, I don't know how he manages to keep it fishing so well, why has he not got an OBE yet, five minutes of this and he is your best friend for the day - repeat all above steps every time you go.

Tench there are best caught with sweetcorn or bacon roll (B&M - 99p per tin)

Do not overfeed.