What song takes you back in time? Where does it take you?

Jetro Tull: Living in the Past! Lunchtime in the Vine pub on Cemetery Road.The first thing my mate did on entering the pub was to put this on the jukebox. (1969)

Supergrass - Alright

I don't even particularly like the song but whenever I heard it it takes me back to a particular night out in Berlins as a spotty student where I group of us, all nicely lubricated on £1 bottle of cheap booze (thanks Yorkshire Terrier buses!) just spontaneously started a group hug as we all belted out the lyrics at the top of our lungs.

James: 'Laid'.

It takes me back to an intense relationship that fizzled in the mid 90s, a year or two after the song came out. Although the lyrics don't exactly reflect all that was going on, there are enough resonances to induce recall whenever I hear the song now.

The Prodigy, Break and Enter. I'll never forget my mum shouting at me for breaking a glass. Was my second CD I ever bought and the soundtrack to a particularly nice summer working in the flower bulb fields with a rather nice girl :)

James: 'Laid'.

It takes me back to an intense relationship that fizzled in the mid 90s, a year or two after the song came out. Although the lyrics don't exactly reflect all that was going on, there are enough resonances to induce recall whenever I hear the song now.

The Prodigy, Break and Enter. I'll never forget my mum shouting at me for breaking a glass. Was my second CD I ever bought and the soundtrack to a particularly nice summer working in the flower bulb fields with a rather nice girl :)

It always the ladies isn't it ;););)

Rich and Strange - Cud. I don't own the record, she did ;)

Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire.

Its Good News Week by Hedgehoppers Anonymous.

When I hear either of these songs which were out about the same time( mid to late 60's) I can't hep but think about the awful newsreel footage from the Vietnam war plus riots in the US that were fueled by that stupid conflict

Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire.

Its Good News Week by Hedgehoppers Anonymous.

When I hear either of these songs which were out about the same time( mid to late 60's) I can't hep but think about the awful newsreel footage from the Vietnam war plus riots in the US that were fueled by that stupid conflict

Yes Mr.T 1965 -and we can both go back further than that, would be (for me) the best year ever for songs, Beatles and Rolling Stones included and Barry McGuire's (former New Christy Minstrels) song words resonate today 51 years later, "You may leave here for four days in space but when you return it's the same old place, you can hate your next door neighbour but don't forget to say grace !" Thank you Mr.T ! (If the button is pushed, there's no running away !)

Edited by stpetre
Add

Yes Mr.T 1965 -and we can both go back further than that, would be (for me) the best year ever for songs, Beatles and Rolling Stones included and Barry McGuire's (former New Christy Minstrels) song words resonate today 51 years later, "You may leave here for four days in space but when you return it's the same old place, you can hate your next door neighbour but don't forget to say grace !" Thank you Mr.T ! (If the button is pushed, there's no running away !)

For me the best line is " You're old enough to kill , but not for voting."

Edited by TORONTONY

The Beatles 'Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out'.

It reminds me of Christmas that year and getting a train set as my main present. My older brother got Day Tripper amongst his presents so it always reminds me of watching my train set go round with that song playing.

Edited by Nagel

I'm a w4nker, by Ivor Biggun.

---------- Post added 12-07-2016 at 11:29 ----------

I'm a w4nker, by Ivor Biggun.

A time when music like that could quite easily enter the chart, not that it mattered, but post punk anything seemed possible.

If you look at the old TOTP from the late 70's/early 80's it was such an eclectic mix. Not the same churn as today.

For me the best line is " You're old enough to kill , but not for voting."

"You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin' ?"

"You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin' ?"

Then you get the banal songs glorifying that bloody war like " The ballad of the Green Berets" by a Sgt. Barry Sadler which topped the Billboard charts for several weeks...Disgusting propaganda , in my own personal opinion, that is.

Edited by TORONTONY
ADD A LINE