Parkwood springs

this is my 3rd attempt. did carol walker do her book about parkwood?.also does anyone remember lillian mcdermott she maintained the gas lamps.also george hitchens and mr bright they had pigstys..i recall taking peelings to mrs hitchens on vale rd and getting a small bag of sweets. we moved from beatrice place to 61 vale rd opposite carol walkers.i have many more memories about the springs it definitely was somewhere special.i will post more.

That would be Connie Beaumont the lamplighter.

Thanks for that,retep. it was a long time ago. still most kids wouldnt know what a lamplighter was.

Used to know a girl who lived on Douglas road, and had a sister who wasn't as good looking as her her I think her name was beril hastop spent some time up there in mid sixties and remember names like Gillard, Ruddyfoth who lived on Douglas Terrace0

Used to know a girl who lived on Douglas road, and had a sister who wasn't as good looking as her her I think her name was beril hastop spent some time up there in mid sixties and remember names like Gillard, Ruddyfoth who lived on Douglas Terrace0

Did Beryl Hastop marry a chap named Ian Rodgers? Her sister married a Paul Cowley, both worked at Parkin and Bacon, next to the Gardeners Rest on Neepsend Lane?

Billard and Ruddiforth lived Douglas Terrace, Aistrop's lived Douglas Road

Beryl and Mary were their middle names,

And sedith you are correct.

Sorry if this is a repost but in August 1967 Parkwood Springs almost had another stab at international fame in the Italian film "La Ragazza con La Pistola".

The action starts in Sicily but moves via Edinburgh to Sheffield. The Sheffield sequence starts at about 29 minutes and Parkwood Springs almost appears at about 38 minutes in. Hope the link works, but if not just search on there for the title and watch a former Prime Ministers father-in-law strut his stuff.

If you fast forward through the film until you get to the Parkwood Springs bit. Two locals walk over the footbridge past Tony Booth. You only get to see the backs of their heads but if you lived there in 1967, August I think, you might be able to identify them, or maybe one of them mentioned the filming to you?

People living in other parts of the city where filming took place have recollections of it.

Edited by Person6

i was just reading some of the old posts on parkwood springs,spent all my childhood on this estate! and met some good people,some mentioned on this post.reg taylor,steve smith,mutt jac who is my uncle,steve christian who is on commitee in my local club..pat and mark woodhouse,tony rose...

just read the"lost village"a wonderful job by Barbara Warsop.having only recently found out about the parkwood group it was good to meet some of the old residents.i was surprised to discover that there was a residents committed and also a newsletter. our family left the springs in 73 but we never knew about them.had it been redeveloped we would have definitly stayed.it really did break my parents heart to leave.thanks to all expat who contributed.and also Barbara for her time.bernard22

I read in the "lost village"about the cinder track from the top of Douglas rd to parkwood rd north shirecliffe.i was told by an old neighbour that in fact the track was relayed with seconds bricks from the brickyard all the way during the 2nd w.war.he told me this was in case the bridge got bombed. and access could still be got to parkwood for fire brigade ect. also at the side of mr bright pigsty,the 1st one opposite bowling green.prisoners of war dug out white clay for Blanco.anyone confirm this?.bernard22

just read the"lost village"a wonderful job by Barbara Warsop.having only recently found out about the parkwood group it was good to meet some of the old residents.i was surprised to discover that there was a residents committed and also a newsletter. our family left the springs in 73 but we never knew about them.had it been redeveloped we would have definitly stayed.it really did break my parents heart to leave.thanks to all expat who contributed.and also Barbara for her time.bernard22

I don't know why they never did redevelop that area I remember that area right at the very end when there were just a few houses left.

The park was the last thing to go.

I think it would make a lovely spot to live but with the right people in them

I read in the "lost village"about the cinder track from the top of Douglas rd to parkwood rd north shirecliffe.i was told by an old neighbour that in fact the track was relayed with seconds bricks from the brickyard all the way during the 2nd w.war.he told me this was in case the bridge got bombed. and access could still be got to parkwood for fire brigade ect. also at the side of mr bright pigsty,the 1st one opposite bowling green.prisoners of war dug out white clay for Blanco.anyone confirm this?.bernard22

As I remember the track at the top of Douglas was made up of sandstone laid on edge from the quarry, the same stuff the allotment walls were built from, there were drains laid at the side of this with drain covers the same as found in the main roads, as far down as the middle piggeries.