Parkwood springs

Can confirm from a conversation with an elderly neighbour, Mary Baggeley ( nee Coney ) who was born at Parkwood, a large area of trees were cut down in the 1920's miners strike.

Can confirm from a conversation with an elderly neighbour, Mary Baggeley ( nee Coney ) who was born at Parkwood, a large area of trees were cut down in the 1920's miners strike.

Mary of Douglas Road? she really would be elderly.

Mary of Douglas Road? she really would be elderly.

Hi retep, did you know or have you heard of the Coney family. Mary had a brother Bert and a sister, can't remember her name.

Their father worked on the railway.

...Mary had a brother Bert and a sister, can't remember her name. Their father worked on the railway.
The sister was Nellie according to the 1911 census return which shows the family at 133 Douglas Road. Herbert "Bert" was born in 1916. Mary lived to the good age of 90. :)

Hi retep, did you know or have you heard of the Coney family. Mary had a brother Bert and a sister, can't remember her name.

Their father worked on the railway.

Only from my Parkwood records, they were in Douglas from at least 1905 her father William was a stoker railway, then moved to 102 Pickering Rd, her father then was an engine driver.

As a schoolboy I spent a lot of time in and around Parkwood Springs with pals from school who lived up there!.I always wondered why they used to call the st eep hill where the Ski Village was eventualy built" the wood",as there wasn,t a single tree anywhere to be seen!.One of my pals Dave White told me that in the depression the locals cut down all the trees for fuel,this sounds plausible to me I wonder if this is what happened or is there another explanation?.Can any forum members shed a little light on my conundrum?,Retep maybe!.:thumbsup::help:

Obviously no tree's in my day but I do know Dave White who had horses where the remains of the Ski Village is now

Hi retep and Hillsboro, thanks for those words of confirmation !

listening to a discussion the other day between two of my friends one said there was a castle in parkwood springs the other there wasn,t.

Anybody out there who could settle this one way or the other.???.

listening to a discussion the other day between two of my friends one said there was a castle in parkwood springs the other there wasn,t.

There was castle (fort) on Wincobank Hill (till like 1959) and there were WW2 'Ack-Ack' gun stations in both places however.

There was a folly that looked like a castle tower, occupied until demolition of the area, known as the castle house.

i can remember a castle like tower inbetween the houses of wallace road and pickering road

---------- Post added 11-07-2016 at 20:19 ----------

i can remember there was a dirt track that ran off pickering between the houses,we used to use it as a short cut when going to the shop,rumours were there was a tunnel under it that went to manor castle!

There was a folly that looked like a castle tower, occupied until demolition of the area, known as the castle house.

Hi Retep have I got it right but did Winston Kewish live in that castle shaped house,we used to go past it on a dirt path then down some wooden steps to a gennell to the road leading to the wide steps over the railway!.It was a handy short cut from Pickering Road saving a long walk round,am I right or what?.:huh::P